• The Kids Are Alright

Posted by on September 9th, 2016 · Comments (12)

Austin powers one! Yeah, baby!

Yanks are now 15-9 since A-Rod left. (Just saying!)

Comments on The Kids Are Alright

1. Evan3457
      September 9th, 2016 | 10:59 am

That’s true, although they were also 15-12 after the break with him still there.

Still, all these escapes in these close games…they’ve been lucky, starting with the two wins in KC last week. They’re now 24-9 in 1-run games…9-0 in 1-run games since they traded Chapman, 8-0 in 1-run since both Chapman and Miller have been gone.

That sort of thing doesn’t go on forever.

===============================================================

They’re 20-12 since Sanchez was called up, although, oddly enough, they’re 17-12 when he starts, and 3-0 when he hasn’t started.

2. Evan3457
      September 9th, 2016 | 11:01 am

If you’re curious, they’re 12-8 when Judge starts and 10-4 when Austin starts.

3. September 9th, 2016 | 11:48 am

Unrelated, boy, have you seen what Nova is doing in Pittsburgh?

4. EHawk
      September 9th, 2016 | 1:10 pm

@ Steve L.:

Nova showed flashes of top rotation stuff in NY but would then look like he didn’t even belong in the rotation. He’s playing for a contract right now and I also don’t think he ever had the makeup to be a successful pitcher in NY…clearly not everyone does.

5. Evan3457
      September 9th, 2016 | 4:10 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Unrelated, boy, have you seen what Nova is doing in Pittsburgh?

He’s been great. On the other hand, have you seen what he was doing in the Bronx since 2013?

Well, I know you have.

And so, unless the Pirates pony up big-time, which they almost never do, the deal will be two half-way decent prospects for Nova taking the Pirates nearly, but not quite, to the playoffs, because the Mets are playing even better, and they have a much easier schedule down the stretch. So they’ll need both the Giants and Cards to continue their collapse, which I don’t think is going to happen.

2 BB in 37 innings over 7 games. Did he ever have a stretch like that with the Yankees? In Yankee Stadium? Against teams that can really hit? I haven’t looked into it, but I’m willing to bet real money the answer is no. The loss of the constant threat of giving up home runs on even decent pitches has allowed him to pitch with confidence, and it shows in the K/BB data. Kudos to the Pirates for figuring out he’d have more specific value to them than just about any other team.

Teams beaten by Nova in his 7 starts: the Brewers twice, the Reds twice, the Astros once and the Dodgers once (while they were in the middle of a long stretch of .500 baseball in August, going 11-11 the first 22 games of August). The one no-win was a 4 inning no-decision against the Giants in which they knocked Nova around for 6 hits and 4 earned runs. He hasn’t yet faced the Cards or Cubs, missing both teams in the Pirates most recent series against them.

If I judge his schedule correctly, he gets the Phillies next, then the Reds, with his last two starts against the Nationals and the Cubs at home in Pittsburgh. This stretch run is going to be worth literally millions of dollars to him.

6. September 9th, 2016 | 5:10 pm

For sure, this helps him on the market. The Pirates pitching coach seems to do wonders with guys thought…there’s a track record there. The guy is magic.

7. KPOcala
      September 10th, 2016 | 1:26 pm

I wonder how any starter can pitch with Giardia staring in the bullpen with a vein pulsing and looking at his Binder. Unless you are a really strong person, mentally, that HAS to play on your mind.

BTW, Steve, um, how did all the Kids make into the Organization and onto the roster? ;)

8. Evan3457
      September 10th, 2016 | 8:53 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Tanaka doesn’t seem to have a problem with it…

They musta snuck under the gate when nobody wuz lookin’.

9. LMJ229
      September 11th, 2016 | 12:02 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I think the real magic is pitching in the weak NL where he doesn’t have to face lineups like Boston and Toronto on a regular basis. Nova’s issue has always been his level of confidence. He will be a solid starter if he signs with the right team.

10. LMJ229
      September 11th, 2016 | 12:05 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I always enjoy reading your in depth analysis. Keep up the good work!

11. Evan3457
      September 11th, 2016 | 1:11 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

@ Evan3457:
      I always enjoy reading your in depth analysis. Keep up the good work!

I do it for myself, primarily. People say things, and I like to try to check and see if they’re true. If it is, I usually don’t comment, unless I have something different to add, or I amplify if their opinion/comment is not the majority position. If I think it’s not true, I say so, and I say why.

I make replies for my own enjoyment and information first. But if other people like them, it’s a real bonus.

12. KPOcala
      September 13th, 2016 | 10:27 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Tanaka has balls of steel, which is a big part of the reason that he’s a legit “Ace”. The other? He knows HOW to pitch (and has a pretty damned nice arsenal in the tool chest). Can you imagine today’s lads playing under Billy Martin? Especially the pitchers? ;)