• Sophie’s Choice

Posted by on October 5th, 2016 · Comments (18)

Full disclosure: I never saw the movie.

In any event, the next 12 months in Yankeeland are the best possible time to finally get rid of Brian Cashman. If it doesn’t happen during that time, it’s probably not going to happen until the 2020′s. (Ugh!)

For the LAST FOUR years, the Yankees have been an 85 win team. (The record speaks for itself – 85, 84, 87 and 84 is an average of 85, on the nose.)

If they pull another 85 or less, that may be enough to send Cashman packing. You don’t have to pay a GM what the Yankees are paying Cashman to get an 85 win team. For sure, if they tank and put up a losing record, that should be “Bye-bye Brian!”

But, if the Yankees do win less than 86 games in 2017, it’s probably the end for Joe Girardi as well. And, that would be sad. He’s a good man and a solid manager. In fact, if not for him, the Yankees would be more like a 79 win team each of the last four seasons. If anything, Girardi has saved Cashman’s bacon since 2013.

WWHD? (What would Hal do?)

If Yankee ownership had to choose between Cashman or Girardi to take the hit for a poor 2017, which one would get whacked?

I suspect it would be Joe.

Cashman, Trost and Levine have themselves dug in deeper than an Alabama tick and are super insulated. Plus, they have unity and Girardi is a man on an island.

Cashman survived Meanwell. In fact, he had her “taken care of” faster than you can say “Vincent Foster.”

Something big has to happen in the next 12 months to free Yankeeland of Cashman. Bigger than Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa or Javy Vazquez. Worse than Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Travis Hafner, Garrett Jones or Kevin Youkilis. It can’t just be another Cito Culver, Ty Hensley, C.J. Henry or Andrew Brackman. Cashman has proven none of that stuff sticks.

I don’t know…what do you think it would take? And, if it happened, would it be Girardi or Cashman who would be let go when it happens?

Comments on Sophie’s Choice

1. Evan3457
      October 6th, 2016 | 12:00 am

I think that if the team tanks next year, then both will not be re-hired, barring that, as I mentioned in a response at another Yankee website, Hal can’t really blame Cashman very much for carrying out Hal’s overall plan.

Girardi, I agree, can’t be faulted much for keeping a flawed team in contention into the last 10 games of the season.

October 6th, 2016 | 2:37 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I doubt the team tanks next year.

Oh, and by the way Steve

:P :D

Anyway, I don’t see Cashman and Girardi going anywhere. There’s no reason to. They both get along with each other, they’re on the same page with regards to the direction of the franchise.

3. redbug
      October 6th, 2016 | 6:03 pm

BTW, Steve…You should read or see Sophie’s Choice.

4. Evan3457
      October 7th, 2016 | 1:10 am

“That’s a conversation I have toward the end of next year,” Steinbrenner said. “Right now I am perfectly happy with Cash and happy with Joe.”

5. Evan3457
      October 7th, 2016 | 7:13 pm

Oh, and Meanwell took care of Meanwell, not Cashman:

“I>A woman who says she was the mistress of Yankees general manager Brian Cashman pleaded guilty to blackmailing him Wednesday — but did not have to admit guilt as part of a rare plea deal.

Louise Meanwell, 39, copped to grand larceny by extortion, perjury and criminal impersonation in Manhattan Supreme Court, where she took the deal on the grounds that there likely was enough evidence to convict her at trial.”

And:

Meanwell admitted that “the prosecution would be able to present evidence beyond a reasonable doubt” as to each of the charges she pleaded guilty to, when the judge posed the situation to her.

6. Evan3457
      October 7th, 2016 | 7:13 pm
    7. Greg H.
      October 7th, 2016 | 10:16 pm

Raf wrote:

I doubt the team tanks next year.

I doubt it as well. Many are skeptical of the team’s chances for playoffs next year, but I am confident that they will make it. The big challenge is the parity in the division. Most likely it comes down to the wire like this year.

8. Evan3457
      October 8th, 2016 | 3:16 pm

Greg H. wrote:

Raf wrote:
      I doubt the team tanks next year.

This team as constituted right now is competitive with only the Orioles. The Jays might lose a lot of offense and if they do, then the Yanks will be competitive with them as well. They don’t look to be competitive with the Red Sox unless the Sox’ starting pitching falls apart completely.

9. KPOcala
      October 10th, 2016 | 10:06 pm

How much would it take for Papi to wind-up in NY pinstripes next year? I’d totally vomit, but man, it would help Hal get ready for a spending spree in ’18, no?

10. Evan3457
      October 17th, 2016 | 11:42 pm

Wild Card game: O’s, and Buck, done.
      ALDS: Red Sox, and Ortiz, done.
      ALCS: Jays, and arrogant players who’ve not yet won anything…well, not quite yet. Maybe tomorrow.

11. redbug
      October 18th, 2016 | 12:59 am

@ Evan3457:

What the heck was Buck thinking?

12. redbug
      October 20th, 2016 | 5:36 pm

I’m happy for the Indians. Glad Toronto lost. Good to see Andrew Miller do such a fantastic job. I like Francona.

13. October 21st, 2016 | 8:01 pm

redbug wrote:

What the heck was Buck thinking?

redbug wrote:

Ditto on all accounts.

14. October 21st, 2016 | 8:16 pm

Off topic…

What a difference 7 1/2 years make! This is my son, ages 5 and 12 1/2. Spring 2009 vs. last weekend.

May 17, 2009: http://waswatching.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/May-17-2009.jpg

October 16, 2016: http://waswatching.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Andrew-In-Gear-101616.jpg

15. Evan3457
      October 22nd, 2016 | 4:37 am

I’m paraphrasing here, but somewhere there’s a quote to the effect that children mark time for their parents. An adult by himself doesn’t feel that time is passing, but they get a sense of passing time through watching their children grow.

16. redbug
      October 22nd, 2016 | 10:39 am

@ Steve L.:

As I recall, you posted that pix from ’09. You’re aging me too!

He looks great in his gear. What # does he wear?

17. October 22nd, 2016 | 10:47 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Yup. I will be 54 next month. Inside, I feel do different than I did when I was 42 or 35. On the outside, of course, I look different. But, IT IS my kids who remind me of time passing. My daughter is now a freshman in H.S. – and that scares the hell out of me. It feels like yesterday that she was learning to walk.

18. October 22nd, 2016 | 10:53 am

redbug wrote:

@ Steve L.:

As I recall, you posted that pix from ’09. You’re aging me too!

He looks great in his gear. What # does he wear?

LOL. There’s history in the numbers.

He started out wearing #2. That was 2012-2013. It was a Jeter thing.
      Then, he switched to #4 because he’s born in April and he was really into Yaddy Molina (since he’s a catcher). That was in the Spring of 2014.

In the Fall of 2014, he joined a new team and #4 was not available. So, he took #21. Why? He was assigned that number in LL All-Stars that summer and had a great showing in that All-Star tournament. It was also cool because it was Paul O’Neill’s number.

That lasted until this fall. He joined a new program where you don’t get to pick your numbers. And, they assigned him #55. I thought it was cool because I loved Matsui. He liked it because it’s a somewhat popular number for catchers these days.

So, he went 2-4-21-55.