• Goodbye Brian McCann

Posted by on November 17th, 2016 · Comments (11)

Wow.

McCann PLUS cash for two pitchers who have never faced a batter in Double-A.

Geesh.

Comments on Goodbye Brian McCann

1. redbug
      November 17th, 2016 | 7:26 pm

Well, the Yanks save $23 million. Who knows about the 2 prospects. But, that’s a lot to spend elsewhere. Plus McCann gets to catch w/ the Astros.

2. November 17th, 2016 | 8:01 pm

McCann is probably thrilled. Gets to play. Hitters ballpark. Winning team. Good management.

I just can’t believe that you can’t get a good prospect closer to the bigs in exchange for a LH-hitting catcher whose a leader and great receiver.

Especially when you are throwing in cash.

3. Evan3457
      November 17th, 2016 | 8:26 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Especially when you are throwing in cash.

For a 33-year-old catcher clearly in decline? With a self-imposed trade deadline of tomorrow because of the need to clear 40-man roster spots because of all the good prospects already in the system? Note that these two low minors prospects don’t have to be added to the 40-man roster anytime soon.

Abreu was the #7 prospect in the Astros’ system at MLB.

Some quick scouting reports:

J.J. Cooper is a managing editor at Baseball America and he tweeted: “Albert Abreu has 4 pitches, touches 99. Jorge Guzman is better when he gears down to 97-99, touches 102-103. Good pickups for Yanks.

Eric Longenhagen is the chief scouting analyst at Fangraphs, and he tweeted: “New Yankees prospect Albert Abreu: 91-95, can touch 97-98. Very explosive arm action, change has significant projection, curve already plus.

Ben Badler is a national writer at Baseball America, and he tweeted: “I like Albert Abreu. Needs to improve command, but it’s a starter mix on a power arm up to 99 mph with two swing-and-miss breaking pitches.

I think the Yanks did OK under the circumstances. Neither one is anything like a sure thing, but a mid-rotation starter and another high-ceiling arm for the pen isn’t too bad. I wish one was a lefty, though.

4. KPOcala
      November 17th, 2016 | 11:53 pm

Considering that the Yankees ate $11 million, I think Cashman has taken leave of his senses. Unless, he’s far in the process of making a multi-team, multi-player megadeal. If not, why in the hell would he make this move so early? McCann isn’t chopped liver, and other teams need catchers like him as well. And for guys so far down in the Minors, and if I’m not mistaken, one of them become Rule 5 eligible after next season. At this point, I just don’t “get it”. PS, what happens if “The Kraken” see “Medusa” next year, or gets hurt? AND now he has no competition……. “Shakey”…………..

5. Evan3457
      November 18th, 2016 | 12:52 am

KPOcala wrote:

Romine is still there, and Higashioka will be at AAA.

6. KPOcala
      November 18th, 2016 | 1:28 pm

@ Evan3457:Well, I wouldn’t mind seeing if Higashioka’s bat has really progressed like it did in the Minors. Romine isn’t bad, although both of those guys might really get exposed as hitters in an extended MLB trial. I also hope that Torrens recovers from his shoulder injury. He had a very high “buzz factor” a few years ago….

7. Evan3457
      November 18th, 2016 | 2:50 pm

KPOcala wrote:

It would have come to this anyway in the next year or two. I’m fine with it happening now.

8. KPOcala
      November 19th, 2016 | 1:07 am

@ Evan3457:Actually, you’re totally right. The Yankees won’t contend for probably two years if almost everything breaks right. I still don’t think that Cashman got enough, but then, I’m not a scout, and at some point you have to give in the idea that the Yankee’s scouts are better than the ones at Baseball America. I’m still trying to understand the need to trade McCann so early in the off-season. There’s nobody better than him who’s a free agent, or likely to get traded. I still have to think that the move is a “prelude”…

9. Evan3457
      November 21st, 2016 | 4:09 am

KPOcala wrote:

The need was to protect one more prospect from the Rule 5 draft.

The McCann trade was made one day before the deadline for finalizing the 40-man roster in advance of the Rule 5 in December. That self-imposed deadline is part of the reason why the return for McCann seems low. It’s also why neither of the prospects they got in the deal has to be put on the 40-man roster.

10. KPOcala
      November 21st, 2016 | 12:37 pm

@ Evan3457:Evan, in the current “way” the Yankee’s do business, you’re probably right. Obsessing over a “Rule 5” “prospect”. Wow! And one of those two guys that they got in the trade is “Rule 5” eligible next year if I read correctly. I’m sure that I’m crazy about the “New Way”…

11. Evan3457
      November 22nd, 2016 | 1:51 pm

Theoretically, several prospects should get “graduated” or “traded” off the 40-man, and more slots will come available during next season.