• My Rules

Posted by on November 21st, 2016 · Comments (10)

I keep reading that the Yankees are going to sign at least two “big free agents” this off-season.

Boy…would that be a mistake.

This stuff has to stop. In a perfect world, barring a Jeter or Rivera type situation which is far and few between, I wish the Yankees never had a player over the age of 35…AND…had no one on their payroll making more than $17 million a year.

Old players and $100 million dollar contracts are a death sentence these days. The Yankees should have learned that by now. Of course, they still have Cashman as a G.M. as well. And, that means they don’t learn from mistakes.

Sad.

Comments on My Rules

1. KPOcala
      November 22nd, 2016 | 12:28 am

The Yankees signing anybody to a $100,000,000 this year is close to zero. Personally, I don’t give a damn how Much they spend, but how well they spend it. I’m afraid that Hal becomes Carl Pollard, and keeps that payroll at a nice, tidy low figure. And that year after year we missed a HOF caliber player by “this much”, and our vaunted farm players just “couldn’t be persuaded to stay”. But we become “loveable losers” like the Cubs, or the Dodgers. Two teams, along with the ChiSox that have all the financial might, but channel the money into “ownership”. No, I’d rather suffer them spending the money…..

2. Evan3457
      November 22nd, 2016 | 1:49 pm

They might use it to re-sign Chapman; that would be one of them. They probably view him as reliable as Mariano was, and if his stuff diminishes over time, it diminishes from so high a peak as to leave him viable as an elite closer throughout this decline. If a pitcher tops out at 103-105 mph, then a decline to 99-101 still leaves him plenty of fastball to get top hitters out with.

Even so, you’re looking at $80-90 million, 5 years for Chapman, who is 29 next year, and would 33 when a 5-year deal is up.

If the other major free agent is Beltran on a one-year deal as a DH, I’m OK with that.

3. November 22nd, 2016 | 2:39 pm

I am so against bringing back Beltran it’s not funny, not even for a year.

No more old guys who can only DH.

November 22nd, 2016 | 2:53 pm

I’m cool with a full time DH, but not Beltran.

5. KPOcala
      November 22nd, 2016 | 3:52 pm

With the lack of proven talent in the lineup, ANY truly lethal bat should be considered, if they are under the age of 35. Anything “else” is gravy…..

6. KPOcala
      November 22nd, 2016 | 3:56 pm

Every time I look at Cespedes’ career log, I almost think that the Yankees should go for him, within ‘reason’. Anyone else have a feeling that something is just “amiss” with him? He sure gets traded a lot, for some reason….

7. November 22nd, 2016 | 8:22 pm

Cespedes has dog written all over him. He’s the Cuban Danny Tartabull. Once he gets a long term big money deal, he’s checking out.

8. Evan3457
      November 23rd, 2016 | 4:40 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I am so against bringing back Beltran it’s not funny, not even for a year.
      No more old guys who can only DH.

One year is fine. If he ages overnight, they can retire him as they did with A-Rod. A one-year stopgap doesn’t mess with their overall plan to get under the payroll tax to reset the luxury tax penalties, it allows Hank the fiction of ‘staying in contention’, and it likely prevents them from making a serious blunder, such as signing Concepcion for five years and $125 million.

9. Evan3457
      November 23rd, 2016 | 4:41 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I tend to agree. I’d let someone else make that mistake.

10. KPOcala
      November 23rd, 2016 | 7:43 pm

@ Steve L.:Steve, thanks. “Dog” was the word that I’ve been searching for to put on my “hunch”. 😉