• Chris Carter

Posted by on February 7th, 2017 · Comments (14)

Brian Cashman, making the Yankees not great again.

I just don’t get this one. When there are more reasons for something not making sense than there are for it making sense, why do it?

You’ve got Aaron Judge, Tyler Austin, Greg Bird, Matt Holliday and Aaron Hicks all fighting for time at RF, 1B and DH. That’s five into three. And, now, it’s six into three.

Maybe they have no faith in Judge, Austin and/or Bird? But, if you’re ever going to try and find out, this is the year for it.

Best case scenario? Judge, Bird, Austin AND Carter each bat .600 this spring training with 8 home runs…and then you trade Carter to someone who is stupid enough to take him. Otherwise, this will go down with the signings of Ike Davis, Mark Bellhorn, Travis Lee, Angel Berroa, Richie Sexson, Travis Haffner, Brennan Boesch, Casey McGehee, Matt Lawton, Randy Winn, Bubba Trammell, Morgan Ensberg, Josh Phelps, Eric Hinske, Kevin Youkilis…well, you get the idea.

Comments on Chris Carter

1. Evan3457
      February 8th, 2017 | 3:35 am

You were right about this and I was wrong. I don’t understand the logic here. Yes, Carter’s a “bargain” at #3.5 million, but he’s clogging up the roster, just as A-Rod did last season.

Even signing him as a trade chip at the deadline is unlikely to lead to anything significant.

So, no, I don’t get this.

2. February 8th, 2017 | 9:22 am

Yeah, I told ya so…two months ago. 🙂

February 8th, 2017 | 10:44 am

Carter’s a 1B (in name only)/DH, so Judge and Hicks shouldn’t be impacted. I’m guessing it’s a hedge against Austin, who is probably the odd man out. Maybe it’s also a hedge against Bird and Holliday?

I’m looking forward to seeing some mammoth HR’s. Bummed that Russel Branyan never got the call with the Yanks, I guess this is the next best thing. 🙂

4. February 8th, 2017 | 1:32 pm

Playing PT is not going to help him. He will be a bust and a drain on the roster. They should have given me the $3 million and just wrote it off as charity.

February 8th, 2017 | 2:52 pm

If he hits, they’ll find space for him. I don’t think it’s likely Bird, Holliday, & Austin make it through the season in one piece, anyway. These things always manage to work out due to injuries, and ineffectiveness.

Also keep in mind that with Bird and Austin, they still have options, so they can still be sent down.

6. Evan3457
      February 9th, 2017 | 12:14 am

Steve L. wrote:

Yeah, I told ya so…two months ago.

Well, I also said “I don’t get this” about last year’s trade of Justin Wilson for Cessa and Green, and that one seems to have worked out OK. So maybe he hits 23 HR’s by mid July, and they can trade him to an AL contender who needs a right handed DH for one decent prospect, or something…

I dunno.

7. Evan3457
      February 9th, 2017 | 12:15 am

Steve L. wrote:

Are you a 501 (c) (3) organization? What’s your EIN?

8. KPOcala
      February 9th, 2017 | 1:04 pm

Steve, not fair to compare Carter to that list of “washed-up”players that you threw against the wall. We have a lot of “lads” who haven’t gone through the physical/mental grind of a whole season, as well as some who are coming off of injury. I’m sure that Joe will find a find a place for “Carsie”. I know that you like to lay the the rotten eggs at Cashman’s feet, but it’s now quite obvious that he is doing the Boss’s bidding……

9. Greg H.
      February 11th, 2017 | 12:39 pm

@ KPOcala:
      I agree, most of the young bats are unproven. None of them launched 40 bombs last year, that’s for sure.

10. February 12th, 2017 | 11:27 am

The problem with Carter is that people see the 40 HR and forget that he can’t run or field a lick, and, that he strikes out 200 times a season to get those 40 HRs. And, what is 40 HR? That’s about 1 or 2 HR per week. And, who is to say that HR comes when it matters? Maybe it comes when you’re up or down by 9? The Yankees might as well give Sabathia 600 At Bats and see what he can do. That’s what you will get with Carter. Teams are not stupid. There’s a reason why he was forced to sign for $3 million. No one wanted him, obviously, except the stupid Yankees.

11. KPOcala
      February 13th, 2017 | 2:18 pm

@ Steve L.: Steve, in a vacuum, I’d agree with everything you’re saying. But right now, the Yankees are really short on “proven power”. They could really use “Mr. Three-Run Homer”, to borrow/steal from Earl Weaver. In the end, however, performance will dictate who plays and who doesn’t. It’s not as though this team is really going to go anywhere, the bombs are for the fans….

12. February 13th, 2017 | 6:30 pm

When Cashman signed Ellsbury, didn’t he promise that the acquisition would be good for more power playing in Yankee Stadium?

13. KPOcala
      February 14th, 2017 | 1:03 pm

@ Steve L.:
      LOL! Good point! But of course the rage was all about getting more “athletic” and stop hitting so many home-runs. 😉 Maybe they should have signed a few gymnasts!

February 17th, 2017 | 3:15 pm

Tyler Austin out with a fractured foot. Estimated 6-8 weeks.