• No Thanks

Posted by on April 11th, 2017 · Comments (9)

Michael Pineda could go 25-3 with an ERA of 1.74 this season, and, I would still let him walk away as a free agent at the end of the year.

Comments on No Thanks

1. YoureNotAMetsFan
      April 11th, 2017 | 11:40 am

Somebody is going to have to fill all the innings. Tanaka and CC may be gone as well. Pineda is no longer a hot prospect so if you can sign him affordably, I’d do it.

2. Evan3457
      April 11th, 2017 | 9:34 pm

If he goes 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA, he won’t be affordable. He’ll be expensive.

3. LMJ229
      April 15th, 2017 | 2:26 pm

If he goes 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA he will win the Cy Young award and everyone will want him, including the Yanks.

4. OldYanksFan
      April 17th, 2017 | 6:41 pm

@ YoureNotAMetsFan:Well said. People forget that it can be difficult and expensive to simply get an ‘average’ SP…. ESPECIALLY if you need to get 1 or 2 other SPs. Pineda is a fine #4… provided that’s how he’s paid. 3/$40?

5. April 19th, 2017 | 9:56 am

No one learned from Pavano? Give a dog money and then he will return to being a dog once he has the money.

If Pineda has a good year, someone will pay him. And, then they will be sorry because he will return to what he’s always been before this season.

6. Evan3457
      April 19th, 2017 | 9:40 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Well, there’s good, and then there’s GOOD.

In 2004, Pavano was 18-8, 3.00. Lots of guys are 18-8, 3.00 for one year. That’s…good.

But you’re describing a Guidry, ’78 year.

That’s GOOD

That’s a year of signature significance. It’s not possible for a mediocre pitcher to have a Guidry ’78. Such a pitcher would have to be among the elite in his era. If Pineda had such a year, that would be significant evidence he’s a much better pitcher than he was before. He’d still have the injury history to make you go…”Well, I dunno”. But in terms of ability, there’d no longer be any doubt. Especially if he has his usual ridiculous K/BB ratio.

But that’s way way way down the road. Let’s see him have a 3rd good start in a row. Then we can start to worry about the significance of 25-3, 1.74.

April 21st, 2017 | 1:01 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I think the overall point is that Steve doesn’t want Pineda back. 🙂

8. Evan3457
      April 21st, 2017 | 1:06 pm

Raf wrote:

@ Evan3457:
      I think the overall point is that Steve doesn’t want Pineda back.

I get it. Even if he comes through this year at a level below Guidry ’78, he’s still very risky. But if he turns in a Guidry year…well, significant new evidence in the other direction requires re-thinking past decisions. Well, it does for me, anyway.

9. April 24th, 2017 | 12:36 pm

I don’t think I have ever watched a Yankees pitcher who makes me more ill than Pineda. And, I have seen a lot of them.