• This One Stat Says It All

Posted by on July 15th, 2017 · Comments (17)

The Yankees (45-42) have now lost 19 of 26 games since they were 15 games over .500.

Pretty soon it’s going to be a .500 team. Then, it’s going to be a team under .500. It will be the first time since 1992 that the Yankees finish under .500. But, that’s OK…

If you’re not going to win and/or contend, might as well go for the draft pick.

In the meantime, watch and enjoy the young kids who are doing well. See if Judge can hit 62 homers and set the Yankees record as a rookie. See if Severino and Montgomery can continue to develop into our version of Smoltz and Glavine.

Root for Ellsbury to be a monster in the second half – so that the Yankees can eat his money and give him away in the winter.

There’s lots of stuff to get into over the rest of the season. Just don’t expect it to be wins.

Comments on This One Stat Says It All

1. July 15th, 2017 | 10:24 am

On a personal note, I have some good news. As some may recall, I was laid off in June 2016. This past May, I started working a contractual job. It was good, but, not something that was going to help in the long run. But, now I have a full time job with a GREAT company. Just started. Best thing that’s happened to me, professionally, in a long time.

2. July 15th, 2017 | 11:40 am

Great news Steve, congratulations.

3. July 15th, 2017 | 12:12 pm

Thanks Joseph! It’s been a long year 🙂

4. redbug
      July 16th, 2017 | 9:22 am

Thanks for letting us know about your new job, Steve. Too much stress for you. But, it sounds like you’ve found an employer lucky enough to have you. Congratulations!

There’s a good article in the NY Times today re Chapman…

I’m too lazy to look it up, but a lot of those 19 losses were a result of blown games by the BP, not just Chapaman, but still…

5. Evan3457
      July 17th, 2017 | 3:12 am

That is terrific news, Steve. Aside from health, the most important thing in life is sense of purpose. I’m glad you have yours back.

July 17th, 2017 | 4:59 pm

@ Steve L.:

Congratulations!

July 19th, 2017 | 12:29 am

So, there was a trade;

Yanks get
      Todd Frazier
      David Robertson
      Tommy Kahnle

White Sox get
      Blake Rutherford
      Ian Clarkin
      Tito Polo
      Tyler Clippard

Not a bad deal, Yanks don’t give up anyone of consequence. Still there’s a bit of a roster crunch, IIRC, so there might be more moves coming.

8. Evan3457
      July 19th, 2017 | 3:25 am

Raf wrote:

All three prospects might be of consequence at some point. Polo is hitting very well at AA, and might make a good 4th outfielder or platoon outfielder as early as next year. Clarkin might turn into something decent in Cooper’s hands. Rutherford might be a star. But the last two aren’t happening until 2019-2020 at the earliest, and the Yankees have other good prospects in the pipeline.

You don’t get something for nothing. Both teams accomplished their goals. Yanks stabilized the bullpen, and partially closed a gaping hole in the lineup. White Sox got more talent for their rebuild. It hurts a little, just as it should.

July 19th, 2017 | 11:01 am

@ Evan3457:
      As with Pazos and Gamel, there’s no room on the roster for Polo and Clarkin. The Yanks didn’t give up their premium top prospects.

Rutherford and Polo are still behind Judge, Frazier, Fowler, Hicks, Gardner & Ellsbury, so they won’t be missed at the ML level.

Agreed that it’s a nice trade for both teams.

10. KPOcala
      July 20th, 2017 | 12:42 pm

Congratulations Steve! Hope that it’s a long, healthy association! And you’ll get to see this team make it deep into the play-offs 🙂

11. rankdog
      July 22nd, 2017 | 6:44 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Raf wrote:

The Yankees have a glut of talent in the outfield and a logjam on the 40 man roster with rule 5 looming. With this trade they now have a dominate quartet of power arms in the pen on control for next two seasons. Which may buy them some time to develop some starters (Severino, Montgomery, Adams, Sheffield and maybe Kaperlin). I would rather seen a trade for a starter and Frazier doesn’t strike me as much better than Carter was at first.

12. July 23rd, 2017 | 9:33 am

Thanks for the congrats guys. It’s a good job with a GREAT company. The problem is – it’s far from my house. The commute, EACH WAY, is between 90 minutes and 2 hours, depending on the travel conditions. So, I am losing 3 to 4 hours a day in transit. That’s a lot. And, it’s a very busy office. Barely have time to pee or eat. So, my posting here will go even further down. Maybe just on the weekends now?

13. Evan3457
      July 24th, 2017 | 12:30 am

Steve L. wrote:

Whatever you need to do is fine with me, Steve.
      As always, you post, I’ll read. And maybe throw my two cents in.

14. redbug
      July 24th, 2017 | 2:10 am

I can emphasize with you re your long commutr. I did that for about 10 yrs. Here’s an article in today’s Times about long commutes – all too common around hetr.

July 25th, 2017 | 10:58 am

Steve L. wrote:

Seems par for the course for those living in NJ.

More companies should embrace flextime and or WFH/telecommuting.

16. Evan3457
      July 28th, 2017 | 1:12 am

The Yankees (54-46) have now won 6 of 7 games since they were 3 games over .500.
      Have the turned the corner on the long losing streak?

I dunno.

But it sure beats the heck out of losing almost 3 games out of 4 for a solid month.

17. Greg H.
      July 29th, 2017 | 9:55 am

I really like the guy but I think the Yanks should be moving Holliday. He’s a straight up DH who isn’t hitting and they’ll never be able to move Ellsbury. I’d rather see the DH thrown into the OF rotation so that Frazier can stay with the team.