• 21

Posted by on July 23rd, 2017 · Comments (7)

So, “a couple of guys” told the Toddfather to forget about wearing #21.

The 21 thing is interesting. Not retired. Not assigned either. I suspect the Yankees are waiting for Paulie to make the Hall via a committee, and that’s a reach. Or, maybe they are waiting until he hits 20 years as a Yankees broadcaster and then it will be like the Scooter – he’s a Yankee for life and they are retiring the number to honor it? It’s just odd that they have been sitting on it for so long. Obviously, they’re waiting for something before making a final decision on it.

Comments on 21

1. July 23rd, 2017 | 1:46 pm

21 should be regularly assigned. The Yankees have ruined what should be an honor given only to franchise icons. 2,3,4,5,7,8,16,42 no question about it.

10,15,32.37, all special circumstances. No issues.

12 numbers, more than enough. This is not discounting the contributions of the other individuals who have had numbers retired, but it makes it less of an honor if it is done with such frequency.

One side note, the Yankees should trim (maybe chop is a better word) down the number of booth broadcasters, and Paul would be one I would get rid of. He spends too much talking about himself.

2. July 23rd, 2017 | 2:18 pm

I wrote this back in January 2008, FWIW

3. EHawk
      July 23rd, 2017 | 6:07 pm

Didn’t Letroy Hawkins wear it one Spring Training in like 2008 or something and get booed mercilessly so he changed to another number?

4. July 23rd, 2017 | 8:48 pm

Yup. He started the season with it when he was here. Didn’t last long.

5. redbug
      July 24th, 2017 | 2:17 am

I believe he was even to ask O’Neill’s permission to wear 21 and was talked out of it. My guess is O’Neill doesn’t want it. I agree with Joseph, O’a Neill talks too much about himself. Probably his ego doesn’t want 21 used by anyone e

6. Greg H.
      July 28th, 2017 | 10:44 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      I oouldn’t agree more. Give Frazier a shot to retire 21.

7. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2017 | 6:09 pm

Way off topic: Yanks trade Mateo, Fowler and Kapriellan for Sonny Gray.

I think Rosenthal has this right:
      Love Gray trade for both. #Yankees get their man. #Athletics get three big pieces, even if Kaprelian, Fowler out for season with injuries.