• Game 6

Posted by on October 19th, 2017 · Comments (8)

There are 34 times in his career where Justin Verlander pitched 5 innings or less and allowed 4 earned runs or more.

Basically, he gets rocked 1 out of every 11 starts. Hey, he ain’t God, man!

Seriously, Yankees, do your thing. Keep the game close and get to their bullpen. Win it in six!!

Comments on Game 6

1. Evan3457
      October 19th, 2017 | 9:32 pm

This. The Pedro Plan. Where’s Mike Mussina, circa 2002, when you need him?
      Well, maybe Young Luis can play the part.

2. Ben M.
      October 19th, 2017 | 10:26 pm

If I heard Michael Kay right this afternoon, on days when Verlander is pitching on regular rest, but had thrown over 120 pitches in his previous start, his ERA is over 5. Not sure if I got the numbers quite right, but you get the idea…

3. Evan3457
      October 20th, 2017 | 2:02 am

Ben M. wrote:

He’s not pitching on regular rest. He’s got an extra day of rest, because of the two off days, one between games 2 and 3, and the second between games 5 and 6. That’s probably why Hinch was OK with him going all 9 and throwing 124 pitches.

4. KPOcala
      October 20th, 2017 | 1:02 pm

He’ll be a tough nut to crack. As we know, this kind of pitcher needs to hit early and often, and made to throw high-stress innings early. Then hope to run the pitch count up by the fifth inning. Huh, yeah, the “The Pedro” plan 😉

5. EHawk
      October 20th, 2017 | 2:01 pm

Of those 34 times…how many were against the Yankees? I can remember a few times the Yanks have gotten to him.

6. EHawk
      October 20th, 2017 | 10:19 pm

Anyone else know if any other team won the World Series by beating 3 teams that had 100+ wins in the regular season? I mean this is only possible since they had the Division series but I can’t think of any.

7. Evan3457
      October 21st, 2017 | 12:51 am

EHawk wrote:

This would be the first time, I think.

8. Evan3457
      October 21st, 2017 | 12:55 am

Evan3457 wrote:

EHawk wrote:
      This would be the first time, I think.

Confirmed. The 2004 Red Sox beat the 101-win Yanks in the ALCS, and the 105-win Cards in the Series, but in the ALDS they beat an Angels team that won just 92 games.