• Neil Walker

Posted by on March 12th, 2018 · Comments (11)

I hate this move.

It’s nothing against Walker. By some reports, he’s a grinder and an above average hitter.

Sure, Torres is not ready. But, you already have Brandon Drury. I assume he’s getting third. That said, would it have killed you to play Tyler Wade at second and bat him 9th? Do you really need Walker, even if it is super cheap?

Comments on Neil Walker

1. 77yankees
      March 12th, 2018 | 4:07 pm

Wayne Tolleson and Roy Smalley are still out there, so they may be the next signings.

2. Evan3457
      March 12th, 2018 | 10:39 pm

Right about the time Walker goes down with his annual back injury…
      …Torres will be ready to be called up.

3. Greg H.
      March 12th, 2018 | 11:56 pm

Walker and Drury produce and stay healthy or the kids get their chance.

4. March 13th, 2018 | 9:05 am

The only way I like this deal would be if Wade plays second, Drury plays 3B, Toe is the backup MI and then Walker is a supersub backing up Drury, Wade and Bird – but, then, why do you need Lind if Walker backs up Bird? But, no way to I hand Walker 2B. He only gets it if Wade flops in April.

March 13th, 2018 | 9:25 am

Similar to the Stanton move, the price was too good to pass up. Reports were the Yankees were looking at Walker before acquiring Drury, so they get both guys they targeted. This gives the Yanks more depth, and a little more flexibility.

Walker’s only here for a year, and he’s not going to block anyone; Torres and Andujar are the future.

@ Steve L.:
      I think Wade is the supersub in this scenario. Toe, the backup MI. Walker @ 2B, Drury @ 3B, with either player flip-flopping as needed (backup, injury, ineffectiveness).

Lind was signed to a minor league deal, I don’t think he heads north with the club. What little chance he had disappeared with the Walker signing. I’d rather keep Walker anyway, since he offers positional versatility. I think time is up on Tyler Austin as well.

6. Evan3457
      March 13th, 2018 | 1:58 pm

Raf wrote:

That’s the point.
      Ellsbury forces them to carry 5 outfielder since they can’t trade him, and Hal isn’t eating $65-70 million so fast.

To keep hitters on the roster at 13 and pitchers at 12, they need a 1st base backup among the other infielders, and none of the 5 OF plays 1st.

March 13th, 2018 | 6:26 pm

@ Evan3457:

I would’ve told Ellsbury to get a 1B mitt. Maybe he’d be able to hack it there, maybe not, but given his current situation it’d be worth a try.

8. clintfsu813
      March 14th, 2018 | 8:49 am

@ Raf:
      Agree with all of your points; furthermore, as we always see, these things have a way of working themselves out, usually with an injury or two.

March 15th, 2018 | 8:47 am
      April 22nd, 2018 | 2:55 pm

And so begins the Gleyber Torres era.

11. Evan3457
      April 22nd, 2018 | 10:56 pm

Raf wrote:

Adam Lind, we hardly knew ye

And now, we know ye again. Sort of.