• Neil Walker

Posted by on July 4th, 2018 · Comments (7)

Things are going GREAT for the Yankees.  No one can say that it’s not happening.  But, can someone please explain to me what is the deal with Neil Walker?  I mean…the greatest G.M. in the history of the game made Louise Meanwell go away like Thanos wiped out half of everybody.  But, for some reason, we still have Neil Walker?  Man, I don’t get it…

Comments on Neil Walker

1. Evan3457
      July 4th, 2018 | 9:08 pm

Now, with the injury to Torres, maybe there’s a point to having Walker again. If not, it’s…The Return of Tyler Wade!!™

2. July 4th, 2018 | 10:01 pm

Wade is not exactly killing it in AAA. Then again, few are right now. Drury can play 2B though.

July 5th, 2018 | 10:21 am

Walker isn’t getting consistent playing time. If anything, I thought we would be seeing more of him with Bird’s struggles.

But I do agree, with the emergence of Andujar and Torres, and Drury getting better (I can’t believe he tried playing through migraines), Walker is a spare part. But as always, these things work themselves out with ineffectiveness and injury. Migraines can flare up again, someone else can get hurt, Bird can stop hitting.

I forgot that Torreyes is still out there, though on the inactive list due to his wife’s health.

4. Greg H.
      July 5th, 2018 | 2:27 pm

@ Raf:
      Wait, did Bird start hitting? Oh yeah, the 2HR game and an RBI single.

I’m a Bird fan like anyone, but I’m getting kinda tired of really crappy at-bats. If he ends up in a package for a solid starter, I won’t mind. At this point, McKinney might be a better bat, if he can handle 1B.

July 6th, 2018 | 11:25 am

@ Greg H.:
      The Yankees are going to give Bird every opportunity to fail. If they wanted to nurse him along, to break him in slowly, Walker would’ve gotten more opportunities, more at-bats at 1B.

Every little bit helps, but if Bird continues to struggle, the Yanks will have no choice but to bench or platoon him. The division race is too tight to wait for Bird to snap out of it.

July 6th, 2018 | 11:27 am

Of course, there is plenty of baseball left, but I think the Yanks give Bird another month to figure things out. After all, he is the future and Walker isn’t.

7. Greg H.
      July 6th, 2018 | 11:40 am

No, Walker isn’t. I think they are willing to have Drury play his way into the future. And … there will be players/prospects moved at the deadline this year. To have Bird included as an MLB-ready piece (instead of Andujar or Drury) in a trade for a starter would not surprise me, and in fact at this point I would support that move if it lands a #2 arm.