• Meet Your 2014 New York Yankees

    Posted by on June 20th, 2013 · Comments (40)

    Here’s who the Yankees currently have contractual rights to next season:

    Age 2014
    Alex Rodriguez 37 $25M
    CC Sabathia 32 $23M
    Mark Teixeira 33 $22.5M
    Vernon Wells 34 $21M
    Derek Jeter 39 $3M [FA-*]
    Ichiro Suzuki 39 $6.5M
    David Robertson 28 Arb-3
    Brett Gardner 29 Arb-3
    Brennan Boesch 28 Arb-2
    Shawn Kelley 29 Arb-3
    Jayson Nix 30 Arb-2
    Ivan Nova 26 Arb-1
    Eduardo Nunez 26 Pre-Arb-3
    Michael Pineda 24 Arb-1
    Francisco Cervelli 27 Arb-1
    Chris Stewart 31 Arb-1
    David Phelps 26 Pre-Arb-2
    Reid Brignac 27 Arb-1
    Adam Warren 25 Pre-Arb-2
    Austin Romine 24
    Dellin Betances 25
    Thomas Neal 25
    Melky Mesa 26
    David Adams 26
    Preston Claiborne 25
    Corban Joseph 24
    Brett Marshall 23
    Vidal Nuno 25
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 6/20/2013.

    .
    Yankees GM Brian Cashman has his work cut out for him, over the next 8 months, trying to add to this roster and make it a contender in 2014, no?

    And, how confident are you that he’s going to make that happen?

    Comments on Meet Your 2014 New York Yankees

    1. PocketAces
      June 20th, 2013 | 4:47 pm

      Where’s Joba?

      Granted I hope he isn’t on the list either next year……but just wondering?

    2. June 20th, 2013 | 8:18 pm

      @ PocketAces:
      Joba is a FA at year end

    3. Raf
      June 20th, 2013 | 8:49 pm

      @ Steve L.:
      Isn’t the financial obligation to Wells a lot less than $21M in 2014?

    4. LMJ229
      June 20th, 2013 | 10:05 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Yankees GM Brian Cashman has his work cut out for him, over the next 8 months, trying to add to this roster and make it a contender in 2014, no?
      And, how confident are you that he’s going to make that happen?

      Hell, he’s got his work cut out for him THIS year.
      But to answer your questions, yes and not much.
      I don’t think Brian Cashman has the ability to build a championship team from scratch. I’ve heard a lot of people say that Cashman secretly relishes the opportunity to prove that he is an elite GM. Well, next year he will certainly have the chance. If he is successful, you can serve me up a big plate of crow. I will gladly eat it.

    5. LMJ229
      June 20th, 2013 | 10:07 pm

      Raf wrote:

      @ Steve L.:
      Isn’t the financial obligation to Wells a lot less than $21M in 2014?

      Yeah, the Angels are paying like $18.5M of that. I think the Yankees are on the hook for about $2.5M – which is still more than he is worth!

    6. Scout
      June 21st, 2013 | 8:36 am

      I’d go to war with that squad — and hope the enemy captured them.

    7. June 21st, 2013 | 9:40 am

      Scout wrote:

      I’d go to war with that squad — and hope the enemy captured them.

      LOL

    8. Evan3457
      June 21st, 2013 | 12:23 pm

      One key figure missing. Total team payroll of all those guys is about $105 million. Meaning even under Hal’s cap, they’d have $84 million to throw around.

      Whether they can find players worth $84 million available on the open market is another matter.

    9. Mr. October
      June 21st, 2013 | 2:29 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      One key figure missing. Total team payroll of all those guys is about $105 million. Meaning even under Hal’s cap, they’d have $84 million to throw around.

      $84 million isn’t as much as it sounds, especially with the contracts for Rodriguez, Sabathia, and Teixeira accounting for 70% of that $105 million.

    10. June 21st, 2013 | 2:36 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      One key figure missing. Total team payroll of all those guys is about $105 million. Meaning even under Hal’s cap, they’d have $84 million to throw around.

      Well, the better spend at least 2/3rds of it on pitching. Because, after the last game of this post-season, their 2004 rotation is: Sabathia, Phelps, TBD, TBD and TBD.

    11. Evan3457
      June 21st, 2013 | 10:14 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      One key figure missing. Total team payroll of all those guys is about $105 million. Meaning even under Hal’s cap, they’d have $84 million to throw around.
      $84 million isn’t as much as it sounds, especially with the contracts for Rodriguez, Sabathia, and Teixeira accounting for 70% of that $105 million.

      It’s a lot. Even if they stupidly spend $25 million for Cano, they can still get Kuroda back, a decent OF, a decent C, and a veteran closer with the rest.

    12. Evan3457
      June 21st, 2013 | 10:14 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      One key figure missing. Total team payroll of all those guys is about $105 million. Meaning even under Hal’s cap, they’d have $84 million to throw around.
      Well, the better spend at least 2/3rds of it on pitching. Because, after the last game of this post-season, their 2004 rotation is: Sabathia, Phelps, TBD, TBD and TBD.

      I’m thinking Kuroda for one more if he’s willing, Pineda, and one other from Warren, Nova, Nuno.

    13. Evan3457
      June 21st, 2013 | 10:15 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Mr. October wrote:
      Evan3457 wrote:
      One key figure missing. Total team payroll of all those guys is about $105 million. Meaning even under Hal’s cap, they’d have $84 million to throw around.
      $84 million isn’t as much as it sounds, especially with the contracts for Rodriguez, Sabathia, and Teixeira accounting for 70% of that $105 million.
      It’s a lot. Even if they stupidly spend $25 million for Cano, they can still get Kuroda back, a decent OF, a decent C, and a veteran closer with the rest.

      Oh, and a reasonable shortstop.

    14. LMJ229
      June 21st, 2013 | 11:32 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Well, they better spend at least 2/3rds of it on pitching. Because, after the last game of this post-season, their 2004 rotation is: Sabathia, Phelps, TBD, TBD and TBD.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      I’m thinking Kuroda for one more if he’s willing, Pineda, and one other from Warren, Nova, Nuno.

      Me too. That would make it Sabathia, Kuroda, Pineda, Phelps and Nova with Warren and Nuno in reserves. That’s not a bad rotation. If Kuroda signs a contract similar to this year’s it will cost us $15M. The Yanks will still have a good amount of cash to throw around.

    15. LMJ229
      June 21st, 2013 | 11:42 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Oh, and a reasonable shortstop.

      I think Jeter has a player option for next year.

      BTW, does anyone know how the player option works in relation to the cap? I know the amount that counts against the cap is the average annual value of the contract, not the amount the player is actually paid. But if you look at Jeter’s contract, it is considered a 3yr/$51M contract. He is paid $48M over 3 years (2011-2013)and has a $3M buyout in 2014. He has an $8M player option in 2014. Not sure how that works cap-wise.

    16. Mr. October
      June 22nd, 2013 | 9:45 am

      Evan3457 wrote:

      It’s a lot. Even if they stupidly spend $25 million for Cano, they can still get Kuroda back, a decent OF, a decent C, and a veteran closer with the rest.

      A lot? Not if you want to field a team that can contend for an A.L. East title with that amount of money tied up in so few players, and without exceptional productivity to be expected from one of them (Rodriguez). Can such a contender be built with so many decent and reasonable additions? The math doesn’t seem to add up.

    17. Ricketson
      June 22nd, 2013 | 10:26 am

      Evan3457 wrote:

      I’m thinking Kuroda for one more if he’s willing, Pineda, and one other from Warren, Nova, Nuno.

      I like Phelps, but Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Phelps, and Nova? That would be the Yankees’ worst starting rotation since what year?

    18. Ricketson
      June 22nd, 2013 | 4:37 pm

      LMJ229 wrote:

      BTW, does anyone know how the player option works in relation to the cap? I know the amount that counts against the cap is the average annual value of the contract, not the amount the player is actually paid. But if you look at Jeter’s contract, it is considered a 3yr/$51M contract. He is paid $48M over 3 years (2011-2013)and has a $3M buyout in 2014. He has an $8M player option in 2014. Not sure how that works cap-wise.

      “[There is 1 cost] that will definitely factor in to 2014. It is variable.

      If Jeter accepts his player option for 2014 he will cost $15,500,000 ($14,000,000 AAV + 1,500,000 silver slugger bonus).

      If Derek Jeter declines his option, he will count as $9,000,000 for 2014, due to the rules of the CBA.

      Jeter’s $8 million player option for 2014 counts as a guaranteed year and is included in the AAV calculation, which lowered the AAV of Jeter’s deal from $16mm to $14mm. The Yankees will owe $2mm each in back pay for 2011, 2012, and 2013. They will also owe $3mm for his buyout…”

    19. Mr. October
      June 22nd, 2013 | 4:50 pm

      $27,500,000.00 (Rodriguez) + $22,500,000.00 (Teixeira) + 23,875,000.00 (Sabathia) + $15,500,000.00 (Jeter) + $6,500,000.00 (Suzuki) = $95,875,000.00 for 5 players not including Cano?

      So that would be less than ($94,000,000.00 – Player Benefits) for 20 players if Jeter and Cano are both signed?

    20. LMJ229
      June 22nd, 2013 | 9:15 pm

      @ Ricketson:
      Interesting, thanks for the info.

    21. Evan3457
      June 22nd, 2013 | 9:18 pm

      Ricketson wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      I’m thinking Kuroda for one more if he’s willing, Pineda, and one other from Warren, Nova, Nuno.
      I like Phelps, but Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Phelps, and Nova? That would be the Yankees’ worst starting rotation since what year?

      2008, to be precise.

    22. Evan3457
      June 22nd, 2013 | 9:20 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      A lot? Not if you want to field a team that can contend for an A.L. East title with that amount of money tied up in so few players, and without exceptional productivity to be expected from one of them (Rodriguez). Can such a contender be built with so many decent and reasonable additions? The math doesn’t seem to add up.

      It’s a lot. It’s the same amount they spent on CC, Tex and AJ (assuming they do the stupid thing and sign Cano to a preposterous deal), and if they spread around a little more, which they’ll have to, it’ll be just as productive, if not more so.

    23. Evan3457
      June 22nd, 2013 | 9:21 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      $27,500,000.00 (Rodriguez) + $22,500,000.00 (Teixeira) + 23,875,000.00 (Sabathia) + $15,500,000.00 (Jeter) + $6,500,000.00 (Suzuki) = $95,875,000.00 for 5 players not including Cano?
      So that would be less than ($94,000,000.00 – Player Benefits) for 20 players if Jeter and Cano are both signed?

      A lot of those 20 will be at, or near, minimum.

    24. LMJ229
      June 22nd, 2013 | 10:39 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      A lot of those 20 will be at, or near, minimum.

      That’s right. David Robertson, Brett Gardner, Shawn Kelley, Jayson Nix, Ivan Nova, Eduardo Nunez, Michael Pineda, Francisco Cervelli, Preston Claiborne, Chris Stewart, David Phelps, Adam Warren, and Vidal Nuno are all on the existing 40-man roster and could very well be on next year’s active roster based on their contributions this year. That’s 13 players right there who should cost the Yanks no more than $20M. Assuming Jeter picks up his option, they’d have 6 guys under contract already for next year (A-Rod, CC, Tex, Wells, Jeter, Ichiro) at around $98M. If they re-sign Kuroda and Cano that’s 2 more roster spots at, say, $38M($15M + $23M). That’s 21 roster spots at an estimated $156M.

    25. Mr. October
      June 23rd, 2013 | 2:14 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      A lot of those 20 will be at, or near, minimum.

      Hal Steinbrenner made at least several public statements in recent months that fielding a “championship-caliber” team is more important to himself and the organization as a priority than the $189 mil. luxury tax threshold.

      It doesn’t seem possible that he can bring in 20 players earning the minimum salary, and field a team capable of winning 85-95 games in the A.L. East or look the fanbase in the eye and state that he was true to his word in 2013 about what the organization’s priorities have been and remain.

      The team has to bring back Jeter next year under the circumstances – he can’t finish his career on the D.L. for more than half of a season when he still has something left – that same fanbase won’t accept it.

      $27,500,000.00 (Rodriguez) + $22,500,000.00 (Teixeira) + 23,875,000.00 (Sabathia) + $15,500,000.00 (Jeter) + $6,500,000.00 (Suzuki) + $10,000,000.00 to $15,000,000.00 in player benefits = around $108,375,000.00 for 5 players, not including Cano.

      That leaves less than $80,625,000.00 to fill the next 20 roster spots in this admittedly overly-simplistic model (“Payrolls are for 40-man rosters and include averages of multiyear contracts; health and pension benefits; clubs medical costs; insurance; workman’s compensation, payroll, unemployment and Social Security taxes; spring training allowances; meal and tip money; All-Star game expenses; travel and moving expenses; postseason pay; and college scholarships…”)

      If Cano is signed to a contract with an A.A.V. of $20,000,000.00, that leaves less than $60,625,000.00 to fill the next 19 roster spots – again in an overly-simplistic model.

      If Kuroda is signed to a contract with an A.A.V. of $15,000,000.00, that leaves less than $45,625,000.00 to fill 18 roster spots…

      $45,625,000.00 to $60,625,000.000 is “a lot of money,” but not when you have to pretty much build out an entire 40-man roster (roster spot nos. 8 to 40) and compete in the A.L. East and for a pennant.

      LMJ229 wrote:

      That’s 13 players right there who should cost the Yanks no more than $20M.

      Gardner should cost the team at least $4,000,000.00 after arbitration, and he deserves more than that the way he’s played. And Robertson should get a significant bump in salary too…

      There has to be a buffer of some kind for inexpensive player nos. 26-40 on the 40-man roster. And, The final numbers are not computed until the end of the season. Thus, there has to be a least one more buffer of some kind in place to allow for fluctuations in the number throughout the year as roster changes take place.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      2008, to be precise.

      And the team didn’t make the playoffs that year…

    26. LMJ229
      June 23rd, 2013 | 4:59 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      Gardner should cost the team at least $4,000,000.00 after arbitration, and he deserves more than that the way he’s played. And Robertson should get a significant bump in salary too.

      Agreed. Gardner and Robertson combined make around $6M this year. But if that amount is doubled, that would still leave $8M for the remaining 11 players, all of whom will be making less than $1M.

    27. LMJ229
      June 23rd, 2013 | 5:10 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      Hal Steinbrenner made at least several public statements in recent months that fielding a “championship-caliber” team is more important to himself and the organization as a priority than the $189 mil. luxury tax threshold.

      I’ve heard a lot of interviews with Hal and he has never committed to going over the $189M luxury tax threshold. While he may state that fielding a championship caliber team is his priority, he consistently says that he believes the Yankees can field a championship caliber team without going over the threshold. I for one will be shocked if they do go over the threshold based on what I’ve heard from him.

    28. LMJ229
      June 23rd, 2013 | 5:16 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      It doesn’t seem possible that he can bring in 20 players earning the minimum salary, and field a team capable of winning 85-95 games in the A.L. East

      The Yankees, right now, have at least 10 players on their active roster who make at, or near, the minimum. That figure probably doubles if you look at their 40 man roster.

    29. Evan3457
      June 24th, 2013 | 1:21 am

      Evan3457 wrote:
      2008, to be precise.

      And the team didn’t make the playoffs that year…

      The largest dropoff in 2008 was on offense not run prevention. The team lost runs scored because:

      1. Posada was gone for most of the season
      2. Cano had the worst year of his career
      3. Matsui was gone for nearly half the season
      4. Melky Cabrera had a terrible season

      Yanks were 7th in runs scored, and 6th in runs allowed in 2008. They had been 1st in runs scored and 7th in runs allowed in 2007.

    30. Ricketson
      June 24th, 2013 | 12:40 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      2008, to be precise.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      A lot of those 20 will be at, or near, minimum

      It would seem more reasonable trade Sabathia and Teixieria before the 2014 season under those circumstances and just rebuild, no?

      “[Hal] Steinbrenner is adamant that while his focus is to get the payroll down to [$189 mil.], it won’t come at the cost of competing for a championship… ‘[I]n no way, shape or form will we sacrifice our commitment to field a championship-caliber team. That’s not going to happen,’ he told the New York Daily News.” – March, 2013.

      Steinbrenner’s statement can be interpreted in several different ways. But I would intepret it to mean: “[I]n no way, shape or form will we sacrifice our commitment to field a championship-caliber team [EVERY YEAR]. That’s not going to happen [IN ANY YEAR].”

      A team with its worst rotation since 2008 and a lot of 20 players on the 25-man roster earning close to the Major League minimum would be a sacrifice of their commitment to field a championship-caliber team in 2014, though not necessarily in 2015 and every year thereafter – if that’s what he meant.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      The largest dropoff in 2008 was on offense not run prevention…

      1. Posada was gone for most of the season
      2. Cano had the worst year of his career
      3. Matsui was gone for nearly half the season
      4. Melky Cabrera had a terrible season

      The injury to Wang, and the fact that the backend of Cashman’s rotation was comprised of Rasner and Ponson (with the Carl “The American Idle” Pavano on the D.L. most of the season) were pretty significant…

    31. Mr. October
      June 26th, 2013 | 1:05 pm

      How many days until “Pitchers and Catchers,” 2015?

    32. Ricketson
      June 27th, 2013 | 6:40 pm

      @ Ricketson:
      How long after the trade deadline passes do the Yankees officially announce their abandonment of this plan?

    33. Mr. October
      June 29th, 2013 | 12:57 pm

      Ricketson wrote:

      How long after the trade deadline passes do the Yankees officially announce their abandonment of this plan?

      Sometime between Aug. 1st and within 24 hours of the final merciful out of N.Y.’s 2013 season.

    34. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2013 | 2:31 pm

      Ricketson wrote:

      The injury to Wang, and the fact that the backend of Cashman’s rotation was comprised of Rasner and Ponson (with the Carl “The American Idle” Pavano on the D.L. most of the season) were pretty significant…

      They were, but the offensive problem were more significant, by a factor of about 3 times.

    35. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2013 | 2:32 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      Ricketson wrote:
      How long after the trade deadline passes do the Yankees officially announce their abandonment of this plan?
      Sometime between Aug. 1st and within 24 hours of the final merciful out of N.Y.’s 2013 season.

      Nope.
      They’ll met the $189 million, and let the luxury tax reset. Then they’ll start spending against after 2014.

    36. Mr. October
      June 29th, 2013 | 3:29 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      They were, but the offensive problem were more significant, by a factor of about 3 times.

      And, of course, only the New York Yankees lost a player for the season and had several others with disappointing years in 2008; that did not happen with any other team that year, or with any other team that has ever won a pennant.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      They’ll met the $189 million, and let the luxury tax reset. Then they’ll start spending against after 2014.

      You work for the organization? You know this how?

    37. Ricketson
      June 29th, 2013 | 3:51 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      You work for the organization?

      He tutors Cashman in formal logic part-time…

    38. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2013 | 7:39 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      And, of course, only the New York Yankees lost a player for the season and had several others with disappointing years in 2008; that did not happen with any other team that year, or with any other team that has ever won a pennant.

      The combined offensive dropoff was nearly 200 runs. No team survives that and wins anything. Other than that, your points are relevant.

      Evan3457 wrote:
      They’ll met the $189 million, and let the luxury tax reset. Then they’ll start spending against after 2014.
      You work for the organization? You know this how?

      I don’t know for 100% certain, but here’s a clue for you all: they haven’t made a single move to add payroll for 2014, which, if they were playing by George’s old rules, they certainly would’ve done by now in response to the injury pandemic.

    39. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2013 | 7:40 pm

      Ricketson wrote:

      Mr. October wrote:
      You work for the organization?
      He tutors Cashman in formal logic part-time…

      Doesn’t need to be tutored. Others, on the other hand…

    40. Ricketson
      June 30th, 2013 | 3:05 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      I don’t know for 100% certain, but here’s a clue for you all: they haven’t made a single move to add payroll for 2014, which, if they were playing by George’s old rules, they certainly would’ve done by now in response to the injury pandemic.

      Now its a “pandemic!” One would think the year is 2005 in the cases of Jeter, Rodriguez, and Teixeira, or that Posada was to be the starting catcher. But they’re not playing by George’s old rules?
      Evan3457 wrote:

      Others, on the other hand…

      Agreed.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.