• Cashman: A-Rod To Start Rehab Games Soon

Posted by on June 24th, 2013 · Comments (18)

Via the Daily News

For the last six months, Alex Rodriguez has been linked almost daily to a shady Coral Gables anti-aging clinic and its founder, Anthony Bosch, but there is finally some good news for the star-crossed Yankee: he has been medically cleared to play in rehab games beginning July 1, should the Yankees decide he is ready.

Rodriguez, who is embroiled in Major League Baseball’s investigation into alleged steroid provider Anthony Bosch, can return to game action as soon as a week from Monday, according to his doctors, and is expected to then join the Yankees’ Single-A team in Tampa, where he has been rehabbing since hip surgery in January.

“He has been told by the medical staff in Tampa that he can begin playing in games on July 1,” said a source close to Rodriguez. “He is so excited to get into games. He wants to prove something to himself.”

Yankees GM Brian Cashman told the Daily News Sunday that while he hasn’t discussed an exact date for A-Rod’s return to game action, “it sounds like it’s on schedule. He’s been running, throwing, fielding, and I know it’s approaching. It’s coming.”

Rodriguez would begin his minor league rehab assignment in Tampa, then would presumably move up the line, according to Cashman, to “Trenton, then Scranton. Normally, position players need 50-75 at-bats, or 20 games.”

The Yankees are quietly watching MLB’s investigation into Bosch, whose now-defunct Biogenesis clinic is at the heart of one of the biggest steroid scandals in baseball history: Bosch’s star client reportedly is Rodriguez, who has adamantly denied getting PEDs from Bosch. The Daily News reported on Jan. 26 that MLB was looking into Bosch and at A-Rod’s possible association with him. The Miami New Times reported three days later that Rodriguez’s name was linked to documents from Bosch’s clinic, along with an array of performance-enhancing drugs and amounts owed for them, and other reports have subsequently linked him to Bosch, who is cooperating with MLB’s investigation.

According to Cashman, the team thoroughly supports baseball’s investigation, and will simply await its conclusion before deciding how to proceed with A-Rod or any other Yankee linked to the investigation.

“All we can do is rehab the player,” Cashman said. “We 110% support the commissioner’s efforts. Their efforts are our efforts. Anyone guilty of cheating the game needs to go down, whether they’re a Yankee or not a Yankee. It’ll get resolved one way or the other. We’re waiting. All we can do is play the players we have.”

Betcha Alex comes back on July 30th. That would give him five games on the West Coast, most of them late, to try and fly under the radar of the New York media and ESPN.

Comments on Cashman: A-Rod To Start Rehab Games Soon

1. redbug
      June 24th, 2013 | 5:28 pm

“but there is finally some good news for the star-crossed Yankee: he has been medically cleared to play in rehab games beginning July 1,”

Really? That’s the good news? I’ve enjoyed his absence. It’s like when George wasn’t well enough any more and allowed Gene Michael, then Joe Torre to handle things.

I’d like never again to see Arod in pinstripes.

2. JeremyM
      June 24th, 2013 | 7:58 pm

A month ago, I would have agreed. Then came Jayson Nix, the corpse of Kevin Youkilis, Chris Nelson, David Adams, and so forth… Oh, the humanity!

3. 77yankees
      June 24th, 2013 | 8:12 pm
    4. June 24th, 2013 | 8:50 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Zing! Agreed. Heard so many “A-Rod who?” after Adams’ hot start and Youkilis’ signing. Some people just need to wait a couple of games. Hearing “Almonte’s a keeper” already on FB. Maybe I just need to follow new people.

Also, regardless of how you feel about him, this is probably the most ridiculous picture I’ve seen posted of him and he was the one who posted it: http://instagram.com/p/aZZEmkGxFh/

5. June 24th, 2013 | 9:33 pm

77yankees wrote:

LOL, quick, Steve, hurry up and follow…..

The twit twat tweets…
      I’d pay money to hear Sterling say that one.

6. LMJ229
      June 24th, 2013 | 10:31 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Bingo!

7. LMJ229
      June 24th, 2013 | 10:52 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I’d pay money to hear Sterling say that one.

I wouldn’t pay to hear Sterling say anything. That guy makes me sick! I had the misfortune of having to listen to the Yankee games on the radio this past weekend. I can’t listen to him the entire game so I listen in spurts to catch the score.

On Saturday, when Myers hit the grand slam off of CC, first he called it like it was going to be a routine fly ball to center (and I’m thrilled thinking we’re going to get out of the inning) then he has Gardner back to the wall and leaping to make a fantastic catch (I’m thinking wow I guess that ball really carried but thank God Gardner made the catch and we got out of the inning) and then, finally, he calls it a grand slam for the Rays (which caused me to slam a few things myself!)

Then, on Sunday, he called Gardner’s double a home run. First, he calls it a home run, then he starts talking to Suzyn Waldman about how valuable Gardner has been this year. Then, when play resumes, he says “So Gardner is at second base” and I’m thinking WTF? He never even explained himself! During the next at bat, he says something about how the outfielders obstructed his view and he didn’t see the ball bounce.

I used to like John Sterling when he did the games with Michael Kay. Now I can’t stand the guy. Seriously, he should not be calling games.

8. Evan3457
      June 25th, 2013 | 3:03 am

LMJ229 wrote:

On Saturday, …Seriously, he should not be calling games.

Ditto. What I keep telling people who think he’s entertaining is that unless you think the primary job of a RADIO play-by-play man is to “entertain the boobs”, he fails at his primary responsibility, which is to quickly and accurately describe what’s happening on the field, because this is RADIO, and people listening can’t see what’s happening for themselves.

9. MJ Recanati
      June 25th, 2013 | 8:18 am

@ LMJ229:
      @ Evan3457:
      Reminds me of an instance last summer when Sterling got four or five things wrong in one call. I don’t remember the player involbved but it went something like this:

Player X swings at ball. Sterling calls it a swing and miss strike. Ball was actually hit (hard). Sterling then says the ball was hit foul into the seats. Player slides into second base and is called safe. Sterling then wonders if it was a passed ball on strike three and then a throwing error which allowed him to reach second. Unfortunately for Sterling, that was only the second pitch of the at bat so his guess would’ve been wrong anyway.

Sterling is horrible and doesn’t watch any of the game he’s supposed to be describing for his listeners. Suzyn isn’t any better. It just amazes me that the Yankees don’t fire Suzyn and pair Sterling up with someone that can push him to stay focused on his job.

10. LMJ229
      June 25th, 2013 | 6:32 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Amen brother.

11. LMJ229
      June 25th, 2013 | 6:43 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I know the exact play that you described, I happened to be listening to it on the radio live. You described it perfectly.
      MJ Recanati wrote:

Didn’t they pair him up with a decent broadcaster a couple of years ago and the guy quit because he couldn’t fit in the booth with Sterling’s oversized ego? Suzyn fits because all she does is feed that ego and cover up for his mistakes. As a woman, I really admired how she broke through in a predominantly male profession, paving the way for others like Meredith Marakovits. But I have to admit I’ve lost a lot of respect for her the last couple of years.

12. 77yankees
      June 25th, 2013 | 11:50 pm
    13. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2013 | 10:32 am

LMJ229 wrote:

I honestly can’t remember who came before Suzyn. Also, to be clear, I have no beef with Suzyn and I agree that she’s a real trailblazer for women in the field of sports journalism/broadcasting. She’s been doing this a long time and I don’t think enough is done to honor her contributions to gender equality. Having said that, she’s gone off the rails a bit regarding her job description and, as you said, she lets Sterling go on and on without keeping him focused on the task at hand.

I don’t care if another man or another woman replaces her, I just want someone that puts Sterling back on track so that we can listen to games on the radio again, as we all used to do.

14. June 26th, 2013 | 10:37 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Charlie Steiner. He left to go to LA

15. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2013 | 10:45 am

Steve L. wrote:

Charlie Steiner. He left to go to LA

I couldn’t remember if Steiner worked the YES booth or on the radio.

Steiner was OK, from what I can remember. Not great, just OK. He was actually pretty solid on ESPN’s Sportscenter but I guess he was too funny-looking once ESPN started kicking out the older guys and got 50 cloned dipshits to handle the teleprompter-reading duties.

June 26th, 2013 | 12:28 pm

Steve L. wrote:

LMJ229 wrote:
      Charlie Steiner. He left to go to LA

Before Steiner, Michael Kay and Joe Angel.

17. Ricketson
      June 27th, 2013 | 5:46 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Contributions such as referring to a fastball down the middle of the plate as a pitch that “dissected” the plate, as she has been doing for at least the last 10 years? Suzyn Waldman’s contributions to “gender equality?” As opposed to who? Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor?

18. Mr. October
      June 27th, 2013 | 6:42 pm

Ricketson wrote:

Suzyn Waldman’s contributions to “gender equality?”

I particularly enjoy the great contributor to “gender inequality (sic)” talk about what a great pitcher “Max Schlereth” is when N.Y. plays Det. Schlereth being Max Scherzer, the pitcher Det. received in the Kurtis Granderson deal four years ago.