• Old-Timers

Posted by on June 24th, 2013 · Comments (11)

Nice.

Bye-Bye in center?

Man, Yogi and Whitey.  They are up there.

Comments on Old-Timers

1. June 24th, 2013 | 1:54 pm

Now that Sparky isn’t managing Somerset, I thought we might see him there. I wonder if he feels he would be playing second fiddle to the Goose.

2. June 24th, 2013 | 2:05 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      Good point. Where was Sparky?

3. PocketAces
      June 24th, 2013 | 5:58 pm

I need a little help:

Brian Dorsett?

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA
      1989 28 NYY AL 8 23 22 3 8 1 0 0 4 0 0 1 3 .364
      1990 29 NYY AL 14 37 35 2 5 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 4 .143

He must be in the organization somewhere……right? I don’t follow minors/front office so bear with me if it seems like a dumb question.

Thanks.

4. Corey
      June 24th, 2013 | 6:44 pm
    5. 77yankees
      June 24th, 2013 | 8:08 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Beginning next year, they’ll both be 2nd fiddle to Mariano – I think Mariano won’t be like O’Neill, Bernie, etc. and wait a few years before coming back for OT Day – he’ll be there next year.

I was disappointed by Sparky’s no-show too. No Nettles either. You wonder after a while, with the new Stadium and all, it just doesn’t seem the same to some of these guys.

There seems to be a crux of Old-Timers who show up every year, like Ron Blomberg and Brian Doyle, and then there’s guys who do it for the first time for the novelty and then seemingly never come back.

6. Ricketson
      June 24th, 2013 | 8:34 pm

77yankees wrote:

Doesn’t seem the same to some of us guys for whom there will always be only one Yankee Stadium…

7. June 24th, 2013 | 9:08 pm

77yankees wrote:

No Nettles either.

Someone told me, years ago, that they met him and he was really bitter. Maybe that was true and that’s part of it?

Shame, because, he’s still one of my favs.

8. 77yankees
      June 24th, 2013 | 10:27 pm

@ Ricketson:

You can say that about some of the guys who played in the original Stadium incarnation pre-1973.

@ Steve L.:

That’s a new one to me. I know he had prostate cancer several years back. Perhaps he reached out to the Sons of Stein for assistance he didn’t get??

9. LMJ229
      June 24th, 2013 | 10:29 pm

Yeah, I don’t get the Nettles thing. And he’s a local guy as far as I know.

OTD is always bittersweet for me. I miss Thurman, my all time favorite player.

10. Evan3457
      June 25th, 2013 | 3:06 am

Ricketson wrote:

77yankees wrote:

Doesn’t seem the same to me because I’m old enough to remember when the last two guys introduced were Mickey, and then Joe.

11. 77yankees
      June 25th, 2013 | 11:43 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I miss Thurman, my all time favorite player.

August 2nd is never a good day. It’s hard to believe now he’s been gone longer than he was alive.

@ Evan3457:

You know you’re getting old when you’ve seen most of the guys play during their careers who are at OT Day.