• Trade Joba Or Hughes?

Posted by on June 24th, 2013 · Comments (15)

Forget it. Via Andy Martino

Given their depth in the rotation and bullpen, and their need for a bat, it seems like a tidy little solution for the Yanks to look into moving Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain, both of whom will be free agents — and both of whom have been rendered less important this year by inconsistent performance and the emergence of others.

Only problem? Rivals doubt that either pitcher would bring much of a return. “They’re not going to get much from those guys,” said one National League executive whose team could be looking for pitching in the coming weeks, and who is not impressed by either Hughes or Chamberlain. “Nobody is giving up an impact bat, or a prospect, especially because you’re only getting half a season of those guys.”

Don’t you think (I asked this NL exec) that a senior circuit team, especially one that plays in a large ballpark, would be tempted by the fly ball-allowing Hughes? “Again,” he answered, “I don’t think teams would give up a whole lot.”

The former phenoms have been average at best in 2013 (and, really, through most of their careers). Hughes is 3-6 this year, with a 5.09 ERA; Chamberlain has a 5.60 ERA in 18 games, with 21 strikeouts and one icon shushing.

Comments on Trade Joba Or Hughes?

1. LMJ229
      June 24th, 2013 | 10:54 pm

I vote for both.

2. Evan3457
      June 25th, 2013 | 3:04 am

That’s what I’ve been saying. Even if you can find a taker, their trade value is so low right now, you’ll get nothing significant for them.

3. JeremyM
      June 25th, 2013 | 8:19 am

Man, looking over Joba’s career numbers, he’s been more disappointing than I thought. I thought he had put together some better runs as a reliever than he has.

4. MJ Recanati
      June 25th, 2013 | 8:27 am

JeremyM wrote:

Amazingly, he’s been a totally mediocre reliever ever since he was transitioned to the bullpen full-time in 2010. It’s hard to fathom, given how great he was when he first came up.

Between the idiotic “Joba Rules”, the major injuries, and the questionable mental focus, it’s a perfect storm of crap that derailed his time in New York. A fresh start someplace else may help him out.

5. June 25th, 2013 | 9:07 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

A fresh start someplace else may help him out.

Either that, or, a trip to the minors. He never really had to put in a lot of time riding the buses and dealing with crap meal money.

6. MJ Recanati
      June 25th, 2013 | 9:39 am

Steve L. wrote:

I don’t think that would really matter. He’s got things to work on but, from a talent standpoint, there’s nothing the minors would do for him.

7. LMJ229
      June 25th, 2013 | 6:47 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

With the way our guys are hitting, pretty much anything we can get would be an upgrade.

8. LMJ229
      June 25th, 2013 | 6:52 pm

I really believe you have to deal both of them and just make the best deal you can. I mean, we really don’t want these guys on the team next year do we? And even if we did, they will likely walk. Hughes will want to pitch in a bigger park and Joba still holds out hope of being a starter. Unless they both suddenly starts pitching lights out, you gotta trade them.

9. Evan3457
      June 25th, 2013 | 6:53 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

His value can’t be anything higher than a B prospect, or a backup catcher who can’t hit.

10. Greg H.
      June 27th, 2013 | 11:45 am

After last night, Joba’s value went from two bags of baseballs to one. Some team will take him because he’s hitting 97 on the gun, but no one will give anything much.

11. MJ Recanati
      June 27th, 2013 | 11:54 am

Greg H. wrote:

After last night, Joba’s value went from two bags of baseballs to one.

LOL, I’d say not even a full bags of baseballs but one, solitary baseball. I keep one at my desk at work just to hold onto as I’m talking on the phone or pacing around. I would gladly trade that for Joba just so I could then push him off the observation deck of the Empire State Building (after luring him there with the prospect of endless nachos at Qdoba or something like that).

12. Ricketson
      June 27th, 2013 | 1:27 pm

Why make a decision before all evidence is in? Suppose Chamberlain or Hughes establish new ceilings for themselves?

13. MJ Recanati
      June 27th, 2013 | 1:33 pm

Ricketson wrote:

That’s right. At the end of the season, the Yankees will evaluate both and will make their decision on whether to keep them or not.

14. Ricketson
      June 27th, 2013 | 1:44 pm

Ricketson wrote:

That was sarcasm – in Chamberlain’s case, he should have been dealt a long time ago…

15. MJ Recanati
      June 27th, 2013 | 3:00 pm

Ricketson wrote:

I know it was sarcasm. You troll here constantly so we’ve all picked up on it.

At the time Chamberlain had trade value, he was worth more to the organization. The fact that he has minimal trade value happens to dovetail with the fact that he hasn’t been the same pitcher since late 2009.