• I Guess Big Papi Isn’t Taking Calls From GNC These Days?

Posted by on July 29th, 2013 · Comments (18)

Comments on I Guess Big Papi Isn’t Taking Calls From GNC These Days?

1. July 29th, 2013 | 11:07 am

Between this absurd reaction, him trying to find the “real killers” in regards to testing positive years back, and Ortiz hunting down the scorer two years ago because he didn’t get an additional RBI, I have no idea why Ortiz doesn’t get as much heat for his antics as many others in the game.

Heck, Harper has gotten more heat in his time than Ortiz and that’s just because Harper is an cocky, but extremely talented player.

2. July 29th, 2013 | 11:14 am

Brent wrote:

Would you mess with the Godfather of the Dominican Mafia?

3. #15
      July 29th, 2013 | 11:33 am

I like the way he fouled off the phone, twice, swinging righty and then hit it on the screws when he took his hack from the left side.

Put Paul O’ to shame for sheer violence. This bat-laced rant ought to bring a 4-5 game suspension seeing that the phone was a substitute for the ump and it happened in view of fans and cameras. There is an implied intimidation factor in doing it so publicly. Also, he went back on the field to continue the rant after killing the bullpen phone.

4. MJ Recanati
      July 29th, 2013 | 12:16 pm

Brent wrote:

I’ve wondered the same thing myself.

5. MJ Recanati
      July 29th, 2013 | 12:18 pm

#15 wrote:

I’m not holding my breath. I can’t remember the last time Bud Selig lifted a finger to discipline his precious Red Sox.

July 29th, 2013 | 12:27 pm

I saw the AB that led to the phone bashing and ejection. A high pitch was called a strike, Ortiz flung the bat and was on his way to first when he was called back. He subsequently struck out, and lost it afterwards. Pedroia did say something, he almost got nailed, if not by Ortiz’s bat, then by phone shrapnel.

7. July 29th, 2013 | 12:29 pm

Raf wrote:

That would have been interesting – if something got in his eye and ruined his career. What would Ortiz do then?

8. MJ Recanati
      July 29th, 2013 | 1:08 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Can you imagine? Less than a week after signing that new eight-year deal?

Steve L. wrote:

What would Ortiz do then?

Ortiz would make it his mission to find the real perpetrator of such a dastardly act.

9. #15
      July 29th, 2013 | 1:53 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

#15 wrote:

You got that right. Including letting the Mitchell Report bounce right over the Botox.

10. MJ Recanati
      July 29th, 2013 | 2:23 pm

#15 wrote:

Including letting the Mitchell Report bounce right over the Botox.

Yeah, that one stunk to high heaven. I wasn’t surprised by it but it still pisses me off to this day.

11. Corey
      July 29th, 2013 | 5:34 pm

Napoli with the cop on a string. I laughed. But then I laughed harder at his shirt. First off, stupid shirt. Second off, it’s you’re and not you. Moron haha.

12. Corey
      July 29th, 2013 | 5:35 pm

Corey wrote:

you’re and not you.

figures I’d typo that. haha the you is supposed to be your

13. KPOcala
      July 29th, 2013 | 5:45 pm

@ MJ Recanati: I agree, but I’ll add, what if one of those pieces of phone had found someone’s eye? Hell, Ortiz could have gotten a shard, besides those around. Papi, get’s the rep as a “great guy”, somehow. And Paulie, one of my all time favorite players, “to my knowledge” never pulled a stunt like that. If anyone finds a youtube of a worse “Paulie Tantrum”, please post. I would love to see it 😉 And another thing, O’Neil was, to my memory, pretty contrite after his tantrums. Ortiz, if he’s ever been apologetic w/o some A-Rod-style bs excuse I’ve yet to read or see it.

July 29th, 2013 | 7:30 pm

Well, you can’t say he doesn’t have a sense of humor about these things…

15. LMJ229
      July 29th, 2013 | 11:00 pm

Looks like pure roid rage to me.

16. JeremyM
      July 30th, 2013 | 9:52 am

Raf wrote:

Well, you can’t say he doesn’t have a sense of humor about these things…

It’s easy to put a good spin on it when things are going good again.

Baseball chose not to punish him at all, no shock there. I don’t mind the guy but I’m sick of the pass he gets when others don’t get it for much less. He acted like a baby when the Sox wouldn’t extend him a while back, for example.

17. MJ Recanati
      July 30th, 2013 | 9:57 am

JeremyM wrote:

I mind the guy a lot but the rest of what you said mirrors my sentiments exactly.

July 30th, 2013 | 7:57 pm

JeremyM wrote:

MLB, the Red Sox, the FCC…