• Well, That’s Because They Have The Best GM In Baseball!

    Posted by on July 31st, 2013 · Comments (28)

    Comments on Well, That’s Because They Have The Best GM In Baseball!

    1. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2013 | 4:04 pm

      I would think it’s because the Yankees’ current strategic situation is awful, and the prices being demanded for mediocrities like Michael Young are stupid high.

    2. July 31st, 2013 | 4:06 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      I would think it’s because the Yankees’ current strategic situation is awful, and the prices being demanded for mediocrities like Michael Young are stupid high.

      That’s if you’re buying. But, you could also be selling now too!

    3. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2013 | 4:07 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      I would think it’s because the Yankees’ current strategic situation is awful, and the prices being demanded for mediocrities like Michael Young are stupid high.
      That’s if you’re buying. But, you could also be selling now too!

      HalHankLonRandy sez: nope.

    4. July 31st, 2013 | 4:20 pm

      @ Evan3457:
      Well, if you’re not good enough to warrant buying, then you should be selling. That’s just common sense.

    5. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 4:22 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Well, That’s Because They Have The Best GM In Baseball!

      Stupid strawman argument alert!

    6. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 4:23 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Well, if you’re not good enough to warrant buying, then you should be selling. That’s just common sense

      Tell it to the owners.

    7. July 31st, 2013 | 4:27 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Tell it to the owners.

      It’s the GM’s job to educate and influence his bosses on the right thing to do.

    8. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 4:32 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      It’s the GM’s job to educate and influence his bosses on the right thing to do.

      It’s also the GM’s job to follow orders.

    9. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2013 | 4:34 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      MJ Recanati wrote:
      Tell it to the owners.
      It’s the GM’s job to educate and influence his bosses on the right thing to do.

      He might have educated them.
      He might have influenced them.
      He couldn’t change their minds.

      I understand that was a frequent occurrence under the prior CEO, too.
      What was exceptional are the few times the GMs were able to talk George out of it, such as Guidry, Mariano, Andy…

    10. LMJ229
      July 31st, 2013 | 5:29 pm

      @ Evan3457:
      @ MJ Recanati:
      Again with the old “If it works out, Cashman gets all the credit, but if it doesn’t, its the owner’s fault”? I thought we would finally put that behind us once George was out of the picture and Cashman was given the autonomy that he claims he now has. But I guess you don’t believe him on that claim. So I ask you this: if Cashman is so handcuffed to make moves then what the hell do we have him for?

    11. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 5:37 pm

      LMJ229 wrote:

      So I ask you this: if Cashman is so handcuffed to make moves then what the hell do we have him for?

      Your question is misdirected at me. It’s obvious that ownership and senior management think he does a good enough job but it’s also obvious that ownership and senior management fancy themselves baseball men and want to dabble (meddle) as George once did.

      LMJ229 wrote:

      Again with the old “If it works out, Cashman gets all the credit, but if it doesn’t, its the owner’s fault”?

      Strawman argument; I’ve never said anything of the sort.

    12. Kamieniecki
      July 31st, 2013 | 6:22 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      I would think it’s because the Yankees’ current strategic situation is awful.

      Funny how the strategic situation became awful when Cashman could no longer spend money.

    13. Raf
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:15 pm

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      Funny how the strategic situation became awful when Cashman could no longer spend money.

      Or when Jeter, Teixiera, Granderson and Rodriguez missed significant time.

    14. Raf
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:16 pm

      We go through this every year at the trading deadline… Check the archives 😛

    15. Tuttle
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:29 pm

      LMJ229 wrote:

      Cashman gets all the credit, but if it doesn’t, its the owner’s fault”?

      Cashman plays that game very well, himself.

      If I disagree with a transaction:

      I make that fact publicly known and equivocate (“I’m against the Soriano trade, but it will make us better”). If the trade works out, the team is better and closer to the Holy Grail: a playoff spot and elimination in the ALDS or ALCS. (“I did my job – the playoffs are a crapshoot”). I said it would make the team better, so I was right. If the trade doesn’t work out, I can say that I was against the trade, said so publicly, and I was right.

      If I agree with a transaction:

      If the trade doesn’t work out, there’s always the “the team’s won 4 world championships and been to the postseason almost every year at the same time he had the title of Sr. VP and GM, so he must be a good GM” or “it’s impossible to know where Steinbrenner and Levine ends and Cashman begins” canards, and highest payroll in baseball to fall back on.

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      It’s obvious that ownership and senior management think he does a good enough job.

      Unless he has something on the Steinbrenner Family. Maybe George, Hank, and/or Hal had/have a Louise Meanwell of their own in a closet somewhere.

    16. Raf
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:36 pm

      Tuttle wrote:

      Maybe George, Hank, and/or Hal had/have a Louise Meanwell of their own in a closet somewhere.

      Howie Spira in drag?

    17. Raf
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:38 pm

      LMJ229 wrote:

      Cashman was given the autonomy that he claims he now has.

      It’s obvious that Cashman has full autonomy, except when he doesn’t.

    18. Ricketson
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:45 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Granderson

      Kurtis’ .230 avg. and 200 k’s are tough to replace: no question about it.
      Raf wrote:

      Jeter

      I thought Jeter’s production was supposed to drop off significantly at age 39?
      Raf wrote:

      Teixiera

      After 4 consecutive years of declining offensive numbers, what was expected of Teixeira for the regular season again? And that .222 career postseason average might have extended an ALDS to 4 games with Kuroda pitching Games 1-3.

    19. Raf
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:50 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      It’s obvious that ownership and senior management think he does a good enough job but it’s also obvious that ownership and senior management fancy themselves baseball men and want to dabble (meddle) as George once did.

      So, when does Cashman channel Dallas Green?
      http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-06/sports/sp-148_1_george-steinbrenner

      http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-08-19/sports/8902260902_1_bucky-dent-new-manager-coaching

    20. Raf
      July 31st, 2013 | 8:57 pm

      Ricketson wrote:

      Kurtis’ .230 avg. and 200 k’s are tough to replace: no question about it.

      Not as tough as his 40 HRs

      I thought Jeter’s production was supposed to drop off significantly at age 39?

      It’s possible. It’s also possible that a significant drop off would still be better than the offense that has been provided by those playing shortstop.

      After 4 consecutive years of declining offensive numbers, what was expected of Teixeira for the regular season again? And that .222 career postseason average might have extended an ALDS to 4 games with Kuroda pitching Games 1-3.

      You’ll have to ask Evan about Teix’s projections; he’s the guy that runs the numbers. Regardless, a healthy Teixiera should hit better than what has been provided by Yankees 1Bmen in 2013.

    21. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2013 | 9:56 pm

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      I would think it’s because the Yankees’ current strategic situation is awful.
      Funny how the strategic situation became awful when Cashman could no longer spend money.

      Funny, but that’s only one of the six factors involved.

    22. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2013 | 10:00 pm

      Ricketson wrote:

      Kurtis’ .230 avg. and 200 k’s are tough to replace: no question about it.

      Of course, even in the middle of a bad season, 100 real runs scored and 100 real runs batted in don’t count…

      I thought Jeter’s production was supposed to drop off significantly at age 39?

      Yes, but not to zero for 100 games.

      Teixiera
      After 4 consecutive years of declining offensive numbers, what was expected of Teixeira for the regular season again? And that .222 career postseason average might have extended an ALDS to 4 games with Kuroda pitching Games 1-3.

      Even Tex’ decline is better than Overbay’s decline, and the post-season numbers don’t really figure during the regular season, do they?

    23. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2013 | 10:05 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Kamieniecki wrote:
      Evan3457 wrote:
      I would think it’s because the Yankees’ current strategic situation is awful.
      Funny how the strategic situation became awful when Cashman could no longer spend money.
      Funny, but that’s only one of the six factors involved.

      Six factors that I can think of at the moment.

      1. Yanks unwilling to pick up salary for 2014. In light of A-Rod’s forthcoming suspension for the rest of the season, they might well be willing to pick up salary for 2013, even in a waiver trade.

      2. Three other very good teams in their own division.

      3. Yanks not willing to trade their best prospects for mediocre replacements.

      4. Yankees still trying to win this year per ownership’s command. If they were selling instead, I think the Yanks could’ve made a deal or two.

      5. The lineup is still diminished by multiple injuries casting the appearance of desparation, and causing potential trading partners to keep prices on their goods very high.

      6. Very few sellers in the market because of the 2nd Wild Card keeping more teams in contention than before (including the Yankees, I would add). The proof of this is that Alfonso Soriano, as diminished as he is, was nevertheless the best hitter traded to any team in the pre-deadline trade market.

    24. Ricketson
      July 31st, 2013 | 10:30 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Even Tex’ decline…

      As with all of the players on this list, their careers are in decline; in some cases substantial decline. That’s to be kept in mind for the years to come as 2013 will be characterized as a season in which an injury pandemic was responsible for a team put together by the brilliance of architect Brian McGuire Cashman not advancing to a postseason crapshoot where it had the same chance of winning a World Series as the Detroit Tigers or any other team and might have won it all by some.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      [P]ost-season numbers don’t really figure during the regular season, do they?

      Who said they did? But the postseason is less of a crapshoot for a team with a first baseman that hits .272 in the postseason than a team with one that hits .222.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      Yes, but not to zero for 100 games.

      Zero runs have been scored or driven in by Yankee shortstops this year?
      3. Yanks not willing to trade their best prospects for mediocre replacements.

      Every trade Cashman has made that was not a “salary dump” has brought in a mediocre replacement at best.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      4. Yankees still trying to win this year per ownership’s command.

      LOL. Ownership is commanding Cashman to try to win a world championship with the $234.3 million he’s spent?
      Evan3457 wrote:

      5. The lineup is still diminished by multiple injuries casting the appearance of desparation, and causing potential trading partners to keep prices on their goods very high.

      LOL. “Appearance of desparation” {sic)?

    25. Ricketson
      July 31st, 2013 | 10:38 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      It’s also the GM’s job to follow orders.

      And this G.M.’s a “good listener.” Is it a G.M.’s job to follow orders and then whine in the media about orders he doesn’t like? Or is it only executives with the title of G.M. and family relationships with ownership that go back decades that get away with that type of nonsense?

    26. Ricketson
      July 31st, 2013 | 10:38 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      It’s also the GM’s job to follow orders.

      And this G.M.’s a “good listener.” Is it a G.M.’s job to follow orders and then whine in the media about orders he doesn’t like? Or is it only executives with the title of G.M. and family relationships with ownership that go back decades that get away with that type of nonsense?

    27. Evan3457
      August 1st, 2013 | 7:23 am

      Ricketson wrote:

      As with all of the players on this list, their careers are in decline; in some cases substantial decline. That’s to be kept in mind for the years to come as 2013 will be characterized as a season in which an injury pandemic was responsible for a team put together by the brilliance of architect Brian McGuire Cashman not advancing to a postseason crapshoot where it had the same chance of winning a World Series as the Detroit Tigers or any other team and might have won it all by some.

      Missing the point. Decline? Yes. But still better than what replaced them.

      But the postseason is less of a crapshoot for a team with a first baseman that hits .272 in the postseason than a team with one that hits .222.

      As has been pointed out to you before, Tex’ lifetime post-seasaon BAVG at the time the Yankees signed him was .467. Once he’s signed to an 8-year deal with a full no-trade, there’s nothing they can do to fix it if he never really hits in the post-season again.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      Yes, but not to zero for 100 games.
      Zero runs have been scored or driven in by Yankee shortstops this year?

      Less than zero WAR, to begin with. -1.5 FWAR to date, including Jeter’s few games.

      .
      Every trade Cashman has made that was not a “salary dump” has brought in a mediocre replacement at best.

      Well, that’s not true.

      LOL. Ownership is commanding Cashman to try to win a world championship with the $234.3 million he’s spent?

      For those who think that, given the strategic situation, the sensible thing to have done would’ve been to be “sellers”, yes, ownership’s command prevented that possibility from ever happening.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      LOL. “Appearance of desparation” {sic)?

      Remind me to mock any and all of your typos and grammatical errors, too. Lowest form of internet reply.

    28. Ricketson
      August 1st, 2013 | 1:29 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Remind me to mock any and all of your typos and grammatical errors, too. Lowest form of internet reply.

      LOL – You have! You’ve mocked the use of “subordinate clauses” in your Internet replies, which is why I wrote that.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.