• Exciting, But…

Posted by on July 20th, 2015 · Comments (17)

It’s the morning of July 20th and the Yankees are in first place.  That’s exciting.

But, they have gone 34-32 in the last 66 games (since May 4th). And, that’s just treading water.

Something tells me that August is going to be make or break time for Yankeeland.

Comments on Exciting, But…

1. #15
      July 20th, 2015 | 6:11 pm

Not so fast… Before we get to the full month of August, I kind of like our schedule between now and August 6th. The next 16 games…
      Baltimore in the Bronx, Twinkies in Minni, Texas for 4 in Arlington, White Sox on the road, Botox in NYC. We could/should win 4 of those five series. I don’t think 10-6 is an unreasonable expectation with that schedule. Tagging that on to 2 of 3 from Seattle and that’s a nice start to the second half.

I keep waiting for the O’s to get better and they haven’t so far. I’m on suicide watch whenever we face Phil Hughes, but I like playing Minni, the Rangers, the White Stink, and the Red Stink (who are 8 back as of today and losing to the Angels as of right now! And, who could be phoning it in by then – they are fading fast and probably playing themselves out of being a buyer in the next ~ 10 days).

Plus Ellsbury is back after missing a bunch of time over the last 66 game stretch. I suspect/expect the pitching staff will be about what it’s been. Maybe a little CC surge in the warmer weather. I’d still like to see a solid right handed bat added to the line up. We aren’t a real contender without more production from our middle infield. Too many soft outs at the bottom of our line up.

2. Evan3457
      July 20th, 2015 | 9:25 pm

The Yanks are not real division-winning team.

But right now, nobody else in the East is a division-winning team, either.

3. Evan3457
      July 21st, 2015 | 2:02 pm

The pitching matchups are in the Orioles favor, and I expect them to be the more desperate team.

I would expect Eovaldi to get lit up tonight. Yanks need good Nova to show up tomorrow; he has a very up and down history against the O’s. Jimenez vs. Tanaka is an even fight.

4. KPOcala
      July 22nd, 2015 | 2:51 am

Eovaldi makes me crazy. Perhaps he figures out a new pitch (not the first pitcher to do so), CC likewise, Nova, the eternal Jekyll-Hyde, Tanaka, the King who would be ace, and Pineda, is he the new Burnett? (not the stuff, so much as the inconsistency). The inexperienced screams about carrying a couple of noodle bats in the line-up, but what frightens me is the workload on the bullpen, from a bunch of starters who (with few exceptions), can’t make it past the sixth, if that. If the Yankees win ninety, does that mean that their top-tiered relievers each have over ninety appearances? They MUST find another starter, or not only will they stumble, but they will have ‘bullpen by strawmen’ next season as well. They NEED a number one, and a number 2. Guys who put up innings, who won’t submit the bullpen to a Bismark broadside. As for the “magical second basemen”, “who” are the “saviours”? And why are people putting so much faith in a fellow who has played in TWO MLB games? Are THEY scouts? Hope I’m just being a pessimist. But the bullpen piling the innings up, this early, lightning rod for disaster………

5. #15
      July 22nd, 2015 | 5:12 pm

Everyone that had the Yanks 10 games over .500, in first place, and 5 up in the loss column (11 over Boston!) as of 7/22/15 stand up and take a bow. Fry? Fry? Bueller? Bueller? Smile guys, we are winning and the rest of the division has big holes and can’t seem to pull it together. What other AL East team would you rather be a fan of right now?

I think too many of us are dreaming about another dynasty. We are still too old, there is too much parity right now and too many other teams locking up stud players before free agency for us to think long term. We need to think about this year, this 1/2 season, this post season. From my view we are good enough to take a run at the division title, or a wildcard at worst, and then the door is open. There must be something in the Midwest water they are drinking in KC and St.L. They are the class of baseball and both has a strong chance at a ring. Other than those two… we are competitive and we should try to get better before the deadline. Don’t get me wrong… I don’t want to trade our top 3-4 minor league guys, but I’d bundle just about anything else into a deal to get us more offensive production from the middle infield and maybe another bullpen arm. I think we have some arms in the organization (1 month away from the roster expansion) that can give some guys a blow. One of the available rental starting pitchers could help, with Nova or Eovaldi going to the pen. But they need to be better than Warren and they need to not have any injury risks/warning signs.

For 28 of 30 teams…. This is what a good season looks like in MLB right now.

6. Evan3457
      July 23rd, 2015 | 3:26 am

5 1/2 in front. 7 on the loss side.

Most teams that aren’t that strong but win a weak division easily are quickly ousted from the playoffs.

But then there’s the 2006 Cardinals, who won it all with a rotation of Chris Carpenter, Jeff Suppan, Jeff Weaver and Anthony Reyes…

7. Greg H.
      July 23rd, 2015 | 10:14 am

@ Evan3457:
      And the Giants, who seem to somehow get in, are underdogs in every series, and win a ring. Yanks keep playing like they are, just get back to the playoffs – anything is possible.

8. KPOcala
      July 24th, 2015 | 4:56 pm

I stopped waiting for the hammer to drop after April was over. The team seems capable of playing well against even hot teams. Health of course is the big “IF”. As much as I would love to fully buy into the ARod comeback, his hitting 450 home runs, and those “exit velocity” numbers, man, you’d be a fool not to go “hmmmm”…… I’d still like a top of the rotation starter, of course (and for “nothing”, ‘natch’), or really go over the top with picking up Chapman or Kimbrel. Too many innings/games for those bullpen guys to go, especially if you are thinking ahead to future years….

9. #15
      July 25th, 2015 | 6:44 am

Oh, and yes… I did kill myself after getting slam-danced by Hughes.

RIP #15.

10. redbug
      July 25th, 2015 | 7:44 am

@ #15:Oh, and yes… I did kill myself after getting slam-danced by Hughes.
      RIP #15.

LOL…I was thinking of you last night, #15. Glad you’re still ticking to tell us about it!

11. Evan3457
      July 25th, 2015 | 10:30 pm

Well, THAT was a pretty good comeback win.

12. #15
      July 26th, 2015 | 11:24 am

I have risen like a Phoenix from Arizona!

Some combination of the Yankees winning and the Botox losing has amazing rejuvenative powers.

4 out of 5 to start this 16 game stretch. Nice start. A win today and we are really rolling.

Okay Arod.. pee in the cup.

CC? Back to the drawing board. Again. Time to swap him and Warren?

13. KPOcala
      July 26th, 2015 | 8:20 pm

14-5 in July. More than just treading. Now if they’d just go 30-4……

14. Evan3457
      July 26th, 2015 | 9:30 pm

6.5 over the Jays. 8 on the loss side.
      7 over the O’s. 7 on the loss side.
      7.5 over the Rays. 9 on the loss side.
      12 or 13 over the Red Sox.

Glass 80% full.

======================================
      But they’re only 34-30 since May 11th. That’s a .531 pace, or an 86-win pace, so it’s not that impressive. And remember, the Rangers swept them at the Stadium.

Glass 20% empty.

15. KPOcala
      July 27th, 2015 | 12:25 am

@ Evan3457:Don’t recall who said it, but remember, “George won’t be happy unless we’re seven up by Memorial Day, then slowly pull away”. LOL!

16. Evan3457
      July 27th, 2015 | 12:26 pm

Somebody probably said that, but it Col. Ruppert once said: “My idea of a great day at the ballpark is when the Yankees score 10 runs in the first inning and then gradually pull away.”

17. KPOcala
      July 27th, 2015 | 12:37 pm

@ Evan3457:Not bad! I imagine that the remark I quoted was a takeoff of Col. Ruppert’s.