• What’s Left For The 2015 Yankees?

Posted by on August 30th, 2015 · Comments (6)

Still to be played:

• 6 games against the Orioles.
    • 6 games against the Rays.
    • 7 games against the Blue Jays.
    • 7 games against the Red Sox.
    • 3 games against the Mets.
    • 4 games against the White Sox.

That’s a total of 33 games.  Some should be easy – like the ones against Boston and Chicago.  But, some will be tougher – like the ones against Jays and the Mets.  And, some will be interesting – like the ones against Baltimore and Tampa Bay.  Those dozen games against the O’s and Rays may just be the ones to push the Yankees over the top or sink their chances at hanging on to a playoff spot.

What’s the Yankees magic number here?  Is 17 wins (in 33 games) enough to hang on and make the playoffs?  Or, does the number have to be closer to 18 or 19 wins?  What do you think?

Comments on What’s Left For The 2015 Yankees?

1. Mick
      September 1st, 2015 | 10:10 am

Last night’s lost hurt but I think they need to win 18 of the remaining.
      Can the Jays remain this hot…. when will the other foot drop?

2. Mick
      September 1st, 2015 | 6:02 pm

That 18 just harder with Teixeira going down for the next couple of weeks… didn’t Jeter have a bone bruise before broke it against the Tigers?

3. Evan3457
      September 2nd, 2015 | 6:24 am

Looking through the Twins schedule, I see them going 18-14 the rest of the way. That puts them at 86 wins. Yanks would need to go 14-17 to hold them off for the 2nd Wild Card, and I think the Yanks are going to go 17-14 to get to 90 wins. I think the Rangers go 20-11 the rest of the way, and get to 89 wins, so I think the Yanks hold the 1st Wild Card by 1 game.

Ask me again after the Rays series at the Stadium, and I might have a different answer. Rays have just belted the O’s twice, but they lost 5 of 6 right before that.

4. Evan3457
      September 3rd, 2015 | 12:12 am

I thought the Yanks would take 2 of 3 from the Sox in Fenway, and they did.

I think they’ll take 2 of 3 from Tampa, but the Rays are sending Odorizzi, Matt Moore, and Archer. Yanks will oppose with Severino, Eovaldi and Nova. So the Yanks will have to win the first two to take 2 of 3, it looks like.

5. KPOcala
      September 6th, 2015 | 12:07 am

I have to comment about a non-Yankee bit of news. Since when can an athlete dictate how much/often they will play without the benefit of the DL, aka “Matt Harvey”? Has anyone else heard of such a “thing” in baseball (especially, since the contracts are guaranteed)?

BTW, the Yankees have a pretty decent team, but w/o Tex for maybe a month and a half….. Thin ice….

6. Evan3457
      September 7th, 2015 | 2:30 am

…and they took 2 of 3 from Tampa the hard way. Now they need 2 of 3 against the O’s, and a split with the Jays.