• Comcast Drops YES

Posted by on November 18th, 2015 · Comments (6)

Like a bad habit.

A person close to Comcast with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday that it was only the second time in Comcast’s history it has dropped a network. (The other was “Estrella,” a network broadcasted in Denver, Salt Lake and Houston.)

Comcast has cited low ratings for Yankees games as part of its reasoning for taking a hard line with the network.

“Even during baseball season, even in playoff hunt in August, [viewership] was just was minimal,” the person close to Comcast said. “Even less than Nets. It’s just not watched.”

Comments on Comcast Drops YES

1. redbug
      November 18th, 2015 | 7:19 pm

Well, I’m one of the few who watch. I’m glad I have FIOS and hope they don’t follow Comcast. If I had Comcast, I’d make a stink.

2. Evan3457
      November 18th, 2015 | 8:39 pm

Yes, this is something to root for, if you want the Yanks to eternally ride the treadmill of mediocrity.

There are few things that will spur the team to drop rebuilding and signing more albatross free agents more than cable networks dropping YES.

3. November 18th, 2015 | 10:28 pm

Well, a couple of points, first and most obvious, Comcast has a great deal of leverage this time of year. The station has little in the way of original programming during the Yankee offseason, outside of some Net fans, who will even notice? Second, this kind of posturing happens from time to time (I have been a Cablevision customer for many years, been there, done that), after a few weeks a deal usually gets made.

All that said, this may gain traction, cable companies have been losing market share to streaming services and satellite for some time, Apple and some cable companies are experimenting with A la carte-like packages around a bundled platform. Comcast may be willing to let this ride a bit, so this could get interesting.

I would love to see all sports teams taken off basic tiers (family package or the enhanced base level package). It’s a rip-off
      pure and simple, let the customer decide, I couldn’t care less about the Knicks, Rangers or Islanders, why should I have to pay for that expensive programming. I would drop ESPN in a heartbeat (the single most expensive channel on enhanced basic tier).

4. KPOcala
      November 19th, 2015 | 12:03 am

Maybe Hal starts to get the idea that success equals higher ratings and more bodies in the Stadium……

5. Evan3457
      November 19th, 2015 | 2:25 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Can’t argue with any of this, except that it might take a few weeks into the season to settle the Comcast/YES dispute, rather than a few weeks from now.

6. November 23rd, 2015 | 12:28 pm

Comcast said “over 90 percent of our 900,000 plus customers who receive YES Network didn’t watch the equivalent of even one quarter of those [130 baseball] games.”

Ouch.

So, 800,000 who had YES on Comcast didn’t watch at least 35 Yankees games in 2015?