• Who Is Your Current Favorite Yankee?

Posted by on April 5th, 2016 · Comments (12)

My soon-to-be 14-year old daughter asked me that the other morning.

And, for the first time in my entire life, I stalled.

“THAT’S a GOOD question! Honestly, I do not know. Usually, I don’t even have to think about it! I really don’t have an answer for you now.”

I guess it would be Andrew Miller. Mostly because he seems to have a great attitude.

This used to be so easy.

• From 1973 through 1979, it was Thurman Munson.
    • It was no one special from 1980 through 1982. But, there were many who I liked a lot.
    • From 1983 through 1995, it was Don Mattingly.
    • From 1996 through 2001, it was Paul O’Neill.
    • From 2002 through recently, I had Andy Pettitte, Mo Rivera and Derek Jeter.
    • Heck, even last year, I rooted for John Ryan Murphy.

This year…I dunno?  Miller, for now…I guess?

Comments on Who Is Your Current Favorite Yankee?

1. KPOcala
      April 5th, 2016 | 6:58 pm

I’ll have to cast my vote for gritty, grimy, feisty Brett Gardner. He plays the game “right”, and he always seems “alert” in regards to the game situation, and from pitch to pitch. Btw, we agree on our “favorites”, although Matsui is, and will always be one of my all-time Yankee favorites. Says a lot about a player who after breaking his wrist he still tried to get the ball back to the infield. Compare that to Gary Sheffield (playing for the Marlins) rounding second, slipping and tearing a ligament in his thumb (which I’m sure was agonizing), who promptly writhed around (maybe a yard from second), and got tagged out. Infuriating. He’d be way up there on my list of Least favorite Yankees….

April 5th, 2016 | 8:40 pm

Yeah, I would’ve guessed Gardner. I’m partial to Tanaka and Betances.

The only long term players with the team are CC, ARod, Teix, Nova, & Gardner.

3. April 6th, 2016 | 8:10 am

I was on the Gardner bandwagon – and he was an underrated player. But, I think he’s on the downside now. His calling card was his legs and defense because his bat is just league average at best. Now that he’s 32, I expect him to become really just an average player. I would not be shocked to see him become a part time player some time in the next couple of years.

4. KPOcala
      April 6th, 2016 | 2:08 pm

@ Raf:
      Ouch! Props for your three picks! I LOVE watching Tanaka pitch, Tex is a pleasure, and Betances is like the Grim Reaper when he has his control!

5. KPOcala
      April 6th, 2016 | 2:14 pm

@ Steve L.: Steve, I’ve read some interesting studies on “speed players” (I believe it was a few Bill James articles), and interestingly they (barring injuries) tend to age better than power hitters. I thought Otis Nixon would never “go away”, Brett Butler, R. Henderson, Willie McGee, Cobb, Lou Brock, et al. Or as football great Darrell Green once said, ‘yeah, I’ve lost a step or two, but then I had a few to give away’….. Whitey Herzog used to say that you “can’t teach speed”, so…….

6. April 6th, 2016 | 6:12 pm

Yup. In general, I agree: see Butler and Rickey. But, Gardner is already declining…barely getting 20 steals a year now. It’s not like he’s an elite base stealer.

7. Evan3457
      April 7th, 2016 | 2:01 am

Basically, I’m rooting for every young(ish) Yankee that was talented but of disputable value that they’ve traded for the last couple of seasons, just to show there’s an alternative to buying 30ish free agents.

This means I’m rooting for Castro, Gregorius, Eovaldi, Hicks, and Pineda.

April 9th, 2016 | 4:25 pm

Speaking of favorite players… Here ya go, Steve!

😛

9. KPOcala
      April 10th, 2016 | 3:29 am

@ Raf:That would be a great story/comeback, no? Love for it to happen.

10. April 13th, 2016 | 8:37 am

If Swish couldn’t help the Braves, what value does he have left?

April 13th, 2016 | 7:28 pm

@ Steve L.:
      As I understand it, he’s minor league depth @ 1B, and it seems it’s more about him getting his work in. He has an opt out in June, IIRC.

12. April 15th, 2016 | 10:19 am

Please, let him opt out.