• Why Do They Make It So Hard To Be A Yankees Fan?

Posted by on April 6th, 2016 · Comments (13)

Someone I know – who doesn’t follow the Yankees at all – asked me to explain the Mutant Ninja Turtles at the game thing (yesterday). So, I started with John Oliver and worked my way backwards to the “no print at home” ground zero…including the Lonn Trost on Boomer and Carton mess. In addition to the surface facts, I explained the veiled realities of what was the truth.

The more I got into it, the wider their mouth dropped. At each disclosure and turn, I got a “Are you kidding me?”

Once done, their reaction was “What a joke. The Yankees deserve to get fried for this. What an embarrassment.”

As a Yankees fan, it was impossible to defend the Yankees here. Granted, it’s the suits and not the players. But, to the man in the street, there’s no separation between the two.

How can someone walk down the street wearing a Yankees cap with pride when these bozos are always mucking it up?

Yeah, I know what some are going to say “Dude, do you remember some of the stuff Big Stein did?” Well…of course…however, at that time, at least people pushed back. Steinbrenner was booed at Yankee Stadium in every decade of the last Yankee Stadium. While he may have done something stupid at times, at least the public perception was that Yankees fans were not in line with him when he was an embarrassment.

That really doesn’t happen today. For some reason, the suits seem to get a buddy-pass in public. (The media tries to fillet them. But, it never creates a groundswell like in the days of “The Boss.”) And, it really makes it hard to be a Yankees fan these days.

Comments on Why Do They Make It So Hard To Be A Yankees Fan?

1. redbug
      April 6th, 2016 | 11:29 am

Adding to what you wrote…Comcast subscribers can’t watch the games because of a contract dispute between Comcast and YES.

2. April 6th, 2016 | 11:37 am

redbug wrote:

Yeah. I have Fios. I’m lucky in that respect. But, my 80-year old dad as Comcast and he’s screwed. It’s guys like him that I feel the worst for…he’s been a Yankees fan for over 70 years, he’s retired, got nothing to do, and watches the games EVERY DAY. Now, he’s got nothing to watch. There’s plenty of people like that…whose daily routine is the Yankees game, from April through September. The suits don’t care. It’s really a shame.

3. April 6th, 2016 | 8:25 pm

The real culprits in all this was, is, and always will be, the Congress of the United States. All regional sports networks, the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL networks, and the ESPN family of networks should be on separate cable platforms by Federal law. The cost to the subscriber (fan and nonfan alike) is prohibitive. Let the fan decide if he/she wants this product, and how much he/she is willing to pay. The contract disputes will end, and teams providing a product their fans are not happy with will feel it in the wallet.

4. Evan3457
      April 7th, 2016 | 2:02 am

The no print at home ticket takes Stubhub mostly out of it for me.
      So I’ll respond by going to 2-3 games a year instead of 10 or so that I’ve been going to the last several years.

April 7th, 2016 | 12:51 pm

Not going to romanticize Steinbrenner, but his shenanigans had more to do with getting the most out of his investment. The product on the field. The issue was the way he went about it.

Trost, Levine and Co don’t seem to care. They’d rather fatten their pockets. Big difference

6. KPOcala
      April 8th, 2016 | 1:44 am

@ Raf:
      Amen……….

7. KPOcala
      April 8th, 2016 | 1:46 am

BTW, nothing like effective length out of the starters, eh? After letting some studs go by the last couple of years, I’m starting to get PISSED…

8. Evan3457
      April 8th, 2016 | 2:46 am

KPOcala wrote:

It’s the first series of the season.
      The Padres were shut out three straight games.
      Neither will continue much longer.

April 8th, 2016 | 8:49 am

I don’t know which was cheesier, Sterling’s HR call for Castro, or Waldman hitting us with “Starsky and Dutch” an inning or two later. At any rate, a good laugh was had after a long day.

10. KPOcala
      April 8th, 2016 | 1:59 pm

@ Evan3457:Early? Yes. Could some of their pitchers actually learn to pitch? Definitely. But their second and third pitchers haven’t a clue, Tanaka DOES know how to pitch, is he still “holding back”? Tune in next week! Let’s hope that Severino holds together, I still have Keith Law’s prediction of a “body blowout” due to his lack of hip rotation. But then, “Mr. Peabody” isn’t as smart as the real one 😉

11. LMJ229
      April 9th, 2016 | 11:44 am

The Comcast dispute and the no print ticket policy do nothing but hurt the fans. Their complete disregard for their fan base is disgusting and the statements made by Trost are embarrassing.
      And I will add another embarrassment log to the fire: our radio announcers. I listened to just 5 minutes of the radio broadcast on Thursday and had to endure Sterling’s call declaring that White’s long drive in the second inning was caught by Jacoby Ellsbury “with his back to the wall” when the ball actually left the park for a 2-run HR. Then, of course, Suzyn Waldman jumps in to be his apologist. When I got home and looked at the video what I saw was Ellsbury just giving up on the ball and watching it go well out of the park. When are they going to get rid of these two bumbling idiots? Why do we Yankee fans have to be subject to this horrible announcing game after game after game?! Do the Yankees brass not listen to any of the broadcasts? I just don’t get it.
      Sorry for the rant but I almost broke my hand slamming the radio off after he turned an inning ending out into a 2 run Astros lead!

12. LMJ229
      April 9th, 2016 | 11:47 am

Raf wrote:

Well said.

13. LMJ229
      April 9th, 2016 | 11:48 am

Evan3457 wrote:

The no print at home ticket takes Stubhub mostly out of it for me.

Me too, exactly.